Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max 700 Vs Ampeg B2re

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, May 15, 2005.

1. I would like to know which i should use i play rock and jazz and blues thank you for cooperation

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The peavey is extremely loud, has great tone, and is bulletproof. I haven't tried the B2RE, but if it's like the B2R, it's not worth the Ampeg logo, or the price Ampeg wants for it.

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've heard only GOOD things about the peavey heads (especially the firebass, which is essentially the old MAX 700), and only BAD things about the B2R (essentially the old B2RE)

4. Id say the peavey, love mine to bits, never tried the BR2 tho, altho apparentlty mpeg SS amps are just a waste of space

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I wouldn't use either of them.

I'd go with a GK700RB-II, Eden Nemesis NA-320, or Kustom Groove Bass Head.

If I was forced to probably the Peavey though.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I agree.

I own the B2R, and it's a weakling. Go with the Peavey if you have no choice.

Outside of those two, definately look into the groovebass. If you really think the B2RE is enough power for you, then maybe you should look into a used B2R. They go for fairly cheap and it wouldnt be a very risky investment that way.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would get a Carvin B1500 before either.

8. I use the Max 700 and it's a beast. I'm using all 700 watts and it sounds very good.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The B2RE is NOT the old B2R

B2R = 350W

B2RE = 450W Plus some updating

You might want to be sure that you have the same opinion of the B2RE as of the B2R..........

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Iuse the Peavey Nitrobass which is now the max 450 (the smaller version of the Firebass/Max 700) They are great amps. Don't pay attention to the Peavey amp haters. You CAN get the tone you want out of that amp.....it just might not be as simple as it is with other amps.

11. I have a Peavey Firebass amp which is the old version of Max 700. The Ampeg will sound warmer and nicer with the EQ flat, but thats because Peavey's flat setting is closer to actually being flat. With the contour between 9oclock and 12oclock and a little bit of mid cut on the EQ the Peavey can sound just as good as any Ampeg and it will still cut through. I got mine for $300 used but the results are worth at least double that.

12. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I've got a B2R in my rack. I don't know what kind of gigs you guys are playing, but 350 watts is enough for clubs and such. The B2R is a clean amp with some punch. I use it with 2 SWR 15" cabs. I have to keep up with a Marshall 100w and a Peavey 5150 along with a loud drummer with mics, and I cruise to do so. I use an Alembic F1X preamp to boost the input signal. Anyway, you can dis the B2R if you want, but it's bang for the buck. I used a Peavey head for years too. It's up to your preference as to which one best suits you. Good luck.

Peace

Ron

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

350Watts for $550 new? For an all SS head I think that frankly sucks. You can get an Ashdown for $300, and it will sound fine and be just as loud. And with the emergence of the Kustom Groovebass (1200Watts for $500).... the B2R's value just isnt even an issue.

Again.... The B2R goes for $200-$250 on eBay, and that's the place to get one if your thinking of picking one up... because if its not what you want, you can just sell it and only be out a few bucks. If you get one new and end up disappointed... BAM! $300 out the friggon window.

Same goes with the B2RE. It MUST be somewhat louder than the B2R.... but your tone doesnt have to come from a pricetag, and you should only shell out $500+ for it if you REALLY THINK that you will find a satisfactory tone (to you) and volume from something you invested so much in.

You want bang for your buck? BBE BMax + QSC RMX850. Barely more expensive than a new B2R, with over twice the potential power, and the ability to switch that sound with the purchase of a different preamp. Power and Fleixibilty for under $1 per watt.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Franly, that's terrible! Yorkville has a 400 watt hybrid head with a tube preamp, and lots more tonal flexibility than the Ampeg, and costs less! It's also significantly louder, as Yorkville power ratings I find are pretty conservative (not to mention the power amp having 725 watts of clean burst headroom! :hyper: )

Frankly, all you're really paying for with the B2R is a head that sounds like an all SS hartke with an Ampeg logo on it. :rolleyes:

15. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Invariably, I'll walk into a music store, and someone 1/3 my age and with 1/10 my experience will walk me up to some piece of equipment with a name I don't recognize and tell me it's the best thing on the market. I tried out Hartke, Behringer, Trace Elliot, and even some Mesa stuff. The Mesa was impressive, but very expensive. I liked the Ampeg because of the way it sounds. When it comes to Yorkville, I had a Traynor YBA-3A years ago. Nice amp, but not very versatile. In the 70s, you couldn't give Traynor stuff away. I bought a Peavey rig and gigged with it for 25 years. I bought the Ampeg B2R head because Ampeg has been a standard in bass amplification since the Stones used it in the 60s. Like Peavey, Ampeg has built its solid reputation over decades of providing quality servicable gear. You can take a chance on a knock off, but you're more than likely being sold a bill of goods instead of a reliable and durable amp. When I buy equipment, it's to use and not to impress anyone but my audiences. By the way, the B2R cost me $389 brand new in the box, out the door. I'm in a position where I don't have to hassle with financing or layaway. The fact that sk8rguy is choosing between 2 reputable brands is to his credit.
    The answer is: plug your bass in sk8er, and believe your ears.

16. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Sweet.

So does anyone else think that Trace and Mesa are knockoffs? ;) :p

lol... your opinion is your opinion. Ampeg was the big buy on the block forever, and paved the way for bass amps down the road... much like Marshall did with the Plexi head. But is Marshall the only amp considered to be a big time brand for guitars? ABSOLUTELY NOT. There's Mesas everywhere, Krank, Peavey, Randall, Crate.... a huge array of different tastes and price ranges have popped up since then, and the market for such products has radically changed... much like the automobile market did as the 1900's progressed. So... to me, its almost a joke to mention a 70's era SVT and a modern day B2R in the same sentence. Different era, different quality, different market.

Back to the original topic.... The B2R sounds fine. And frankly, I'm sure that the B2RE sounds fine. But guess what..... $550 doesnt grow on trees. Let the B2RE run its course a little bit before investing in it. Your safer bet is to get a used B2R or a Used Peavey, and save yourself from being the guinea pig for a product that hasnt even touched the shelves yet. Cuz frankly.... for $550 man.... you could have 850Watts, with money leftover to take your whole band out to dinner..... and you could STILL have an Ampeg preamp in your system, if you insisted upon it.

So... keep your eyes open to all your options.

17. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota

I have the Peavey and like it, but this is probably the best advice in this thread.

18. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    The Peavey Max 700 is da stuff for bassplaying! A friend of mine had a Peavey Firebass for 10 years but he bought a Max 700 a few weeks ago. Extremely great amp and it's just an more modern and upgraded version of the Firebass! Go Peavey. Ampeg doesn't get loud and if you need a bass sound that cut's like a knife go Peavey. Other great amps are Quantum Pro 600 HK and Yorkville Bassmaster amps!

19. If volume is a concern, I'd for sure go with the Peavey. If it's not a major concern, I loved the tone out of my B2R... just had to sell it to make way for more power.

If you can get a tone you like out of the Peavey, that's probably a better buy for you as far as having power and tone.

20. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    If you need headroom, go with the Peavey. I had a B2R and I got a great tone out of it. Very punchy. However, it couldn't compete in the mix. I was in a six piece band, vocals, two guitars, harmonica, bass and drums and very often I got buried. A Hartke 3500 could be a good option for you. Much more headroom than the Ampeg and greater tone shaping capabilities than the Peavey. You can find used ones for prices comparable to the Peavey and Ampeg.

If you want old-school tone and have a PA for FOH and just use the amp for stage monitoring, go with the B2R.

Got a little confused as I'm typing, sorry, it's still early.