Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max Bass 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael R, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    I've recently been looking at purchasing a Peavey Max Bass 700. I would be running it through a 4 ohm Peavey 412tvx. The head would be putting out 475 watts at that impedence. Would that be loud enough to play with 2 guitarists, one using a 160 watt 2x12 and the other using a 120 watt 2x12 and still have plenty of headroom? I also noticed while looking at the amp that it has a power amp in. Does that mean that I could buy a seperate power amp and hook that into it and have that power added to it?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Power amp in is a feature that allows you to use a different preamp and the power amp of the Peavey. Basically a preamp bypass. On many amps, the effect return can be used for this function as well.

If the cabs are fairly efficient, I would think that amp and a 412 would be plenty loud enough to work with two guitarists unless they are of the ilk that is seeking permanent hearing damage.

3. absolutely! the max 700 is killer with the 412TVX. that is the loudest rig i've ever played through, and it's big and thick sounding, too. i love that rig.

the power amp in is a input to the power amp inside the max 700. in other words, if you want to bypass the preamp on the max 700 and use your own preamp instead, you can plug it into the power amp in.

the manual should cover that. click here to read. the info you're looking for can be found on page 5.

robb.

4. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    It also says it has a preamp out. What does that do?

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Preamp out is exactly the opposite. It allows you to use the Peavey's preamp with a different poweramp.

It also works as an unbalanced lineout for recording or running DI in live situations. I would guess it also has an XLR out for that function.

6. Michael R

Michael R

Nov 20, 2003
    Henderson, TN
    That sounds like a great head. I play in a hard rock band and I like a good bit of lows with decent highs. I usually keep my sound pretty clean. Would it be able to produce any sort of overdrive? Do you think the MaxBass 700 and 412TVX would work well for my application?

7. it's designed to work in a rock band! i am not a fan of the overdrive sound on it (achieved by turning up the pregain), however. i would recommend using an overdrive pedal if you want some grindy edge to your sound.

robb.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The Max 700(nee Firebass 700) is built like a tank. It is loud as (can't say the "f" word here) and will be alive to serve your grandchildren. The contour control on that amp is one of the best features I have used in many years. Many amps have a contour switch, but the Peavey's setup give you a lot more control of your low end. Like most "contour" controls, it cuts the mids while boosting the lows and highs. It just gives you more options. As far as overdrive is concerned...(and I LOVE Peavey)...I have never found a Peavey solid state head that had a passible overdrive/distortion sound. If reasonable volume ('scuse me, sir...the local constabulary has these bracelets for you to try on...) and distortion are what you are after, perhaps a {i}good[/i] pedal such as a Fulltone, would do your bidding. Please don't discount the Max 700 because of the overdrive thing (I know, if you have good taste, you won't like it)...It is a KILLER amp and a bargain, to boot. Just look elsewhere (external device) for a good "overdrive". All of the above is null and void if you have the cash to buy the all-tube amp of your choice!!

kim

9. Any new opinions?