1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Max Bass Preamp Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by disturbedbass13, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I'm a big fan of updating my gear, and I've been itching to replace to tubes in my peavey max bass preamp.

[​IMG]

I downloaded the manual from peavey.com, but found nothing about the tubes.

Anyone know?

2. Take the top panel off and have a look in there (while unplugged of course).

However, as its a tube/solid state preamp (switchable), im assuming there is only one or two tubes in there.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was equiped with a single 12AX7 (or maybe 12AU7).

3. I don't have much experience with tubes... however, I should have assumed it would have a label of some sort.

stupid me. Haha

4. Some might be pretty faint or even lacking the label. But the vast majority should have something on there. The peavey tube gear ive had before has always had peavey branded tubes which have been labelled.

5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I'm pretty sure it has one 12AX7.

I've found that the tube doesn't do a whole lot in the MAX. When I got mine I was expecting to be able to crank the gain and get some overdrive. It stays really clean unless you use an active bass.

I modified mine to have more gain, but I don't know if you'll notice a difference by changing the tube in a stock unit.

I used a JJ ECC83s. They are good tubes.

6. Yes, only the one tube in there. I've tried a number of different tubes, just to see if I could detect any differences. Highly subjective I admit, but in the end, I could have kept the stocker in there and been happy.
    I agree the tube doesn't do a whole lot when it comes to putting some hair on the sound of my passive Jazz, but I like tube side way better than the SS side.

7. You guys read my mind. I -am- looking to get more tube overdrive. But that doesn't seem too likely with only one tube.

I am more of a fan of the tube side. I usually keep it on both channels and blend it 80/20 in favor of the tube channel.