Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max does distortion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Oct 1, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Can any of the Peavey Max preamp owners out there tell me if the tube channel on the preamp can get enough gain to do distortion or heavy overdrive? I'm thinking of buying one to replace my art tubechannel.

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    bubbubububububbump. I know there are a few guys on here with this preamp. Please, some help?

3. You can get a decent crunch out of the tube channel, but certainly not heavy overdrive. If you want more distortion you will need an additional stompbox or you could try boosting the input signal a bit more. Don't now how the transistor channel would like this though.

-Mark

4. I overdrive the tube section on mine. I really like it. It's not super-nasty, just a little smooth on the top end. I don't blast it too much, although you could if you wanted to I suppose. I just like adding a little "warmth" to the top end. I always run it combined with the SS side to retain the flexibility of the graphic EQ. IME the Max is a solid, feature packed (a lot more then other units in it's price range), flexible unit for a really good price. Hard to go wrong with it. If you find you want/need more distortion you could always pick up the pedal of your choice and run it through the effects loop. Hope this helps!

Peace-

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that I have a PDF file of a way to modify the tube section so that you can get more gain and a dirtier sound out of it on my PC at home. If any one is interested, PM me you addy and I'd be happy to pass it on. I haven't tried the mod on mine so I can't vouch for how it works.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You've got mail K Dubbs! ;)