Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Anyone with personal experience with this preamp? I'm looking for a preamp for Rig#2 and it has some features which appeal to me for its assignments. Especially interested in evaluations of its tube channel's tone character.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If I am correct, that is the preamp only version of the T-max amp that Peavey offered a few years back. I have never played through that pre with a seperate power amp, but I did a very long trial with a T-max head. I really liked it. It was a tube/SS blendable pre with SS power. Very usable. I wish now I would have bought it. I ended up with an R600 that didn't care for nearly as much.

I was very impressed with the sound of the T max.

Chas

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bob -

As Chas said, that pre- is a pre-only version of the T-Max head Peavey made for several years. In my opinion, based on 6+ years of experience with a T-Max head, this is a real sleeper of a pre-amp. Even the solid-state channel is very warm and smooth. I use the tube channel to get a bit more grind for rock stuff, which means at this point it doesn't get used too much. The Max combined with a Peavey DPC 1400i power amp would be a monster combination, and would weigh ~20 lbs for a 2 channel amp with 1400 watts of power! I've considered just this set-up on and off for several months now, but just haven't pulled the trigger....hard to not do it though, it would almost triple my available headroom and cut the weight more than in half, while retaining my basic tone.