Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey max preamp crackles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Jan 2, 2005.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Has anyone had the following problem with a peavey max preamp? When I play for half an hour or so, my speakes start crackling. After some investigation I traced the problem to my peavey max preamp. The crackling is on all the outputs. full range, high range, low range and even on the direct out. It is crackling on the tube channel and on the solid-state channel. When I use the combine feature the crackling stops for some reasons. Can anyone give a hint?
    Kind regards,

Dave

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Never had that problem. But yo umight want to clean your pots and switches. Particularly the combine switch. Just a thought.

Myron

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    A bad preamp tube will make a crackling noise, but it is not very loud. Not as loud as the crackling from a bad input jack or cord. But that wouldn't account for it crackling through the solid state channel. It wouldn't hurt to check your preamp tube while you're cleaning your pots and switches.

4. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I will check the cleaning, but since it's just 2 months old and I bought it new, it would be strange if this could be the problem. But thank you for trying to help, I appreciate that.

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    If it is still in the return period, you should send it back. Otherwise, send it in for repair under warranty. since it's new, it obviously shouldn't be doing this. B Easy

Myron

6. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    I will return the preamp tomorrow. I hope they can provide me with a solution very quickly.

Thanks for the help.

7. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    on the peavey website someone mentioned a bad omamp. I don't care what it is, I only hope that I get a quick replacement