Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max Preamp users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hi Everyone.

I'm considering a Peavey Max preamp, and I'd like to know what others think of it.

Any opinions / comments are appreciared.

Thanks in advance!

Nick
    www.theincognitos.com

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Bump. I was wondering the same thing.

See kids, see what searches get'cha?;)

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    and I like mine a lot. What do you need to know? Here's a thread that may offer you some information.

Peavey MAX

There actually quite a few threads that contains info on the MAX in this forum. Search again and you'll find them.

4. I like mine quite a bit. I like to blend the 2 channels. Sounds good...Good luck!

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hows the crossover work? Say you had 2 cabs and amps, could you just run one full range and one crossed? Can you get a distortion out of the tube channel? It looks like a great unit, but PV has very little to say about it. Thanks for the help.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's got a great crossover. The MAX has three outputs on the back(fullrange, high and low) so it may be possible to run it in the manner that you suggested. Yes, you can get distortion out of the tube channel but I tend to run mine using both channels with the blend slightly favoring the tube side.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Ebozzz, how long have you had yours? We all know Peavey's reliability, but I'm curious. Thanks, by the way, for all the help.:)

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've had it for close to two years. Not a problem since I picked it up. The only thing that I've done to it is change to a different 12AX7. It had some Chinese made tube in it and I went to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

9. Ncognito,

I've been using a Peavey Max for about 2 years now and have been pretty happy with it. Sounds good with both sides blended. I've run it biamped and in full range with no problems. The crossover is simple to use. Its got all the connections and loops you'll find on boutique preamps and heads without an enormous price tag.

Typically Peavey- built very tough. I'm on the road a lot and anything can break when on the road. The Max hasn't left me hanging yet.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

CL Power
    www.lymanmusic.com

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

CL, your post helped me if no-one else. Thank you for the input.

11. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Thanks for all the input guys!

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    TBer John M. Cote has had his for longer that I've had mine and he likes it also. Mara just got one a few months back. Both of them may be able to give you additional feedback.

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how would you guys stand it up against a sansamp rbi?

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a good question. I've only been able to try the RBI once and it belonged to someone else. Therefore, I didn't get to try it in my rig. From the brief experience that I had with the RBI, I feel pretty positive about it. I still think that my rig with the MAX and the other components was better to my ears. I would love to try the RBI again if I can ever get the opportunity to run it through my setup.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on...they actually seem quite similar with the peavey having a little more complicated layout. i like the rbi for its simplicity. i'm a simple man...all the stuff offered on most preamps is just way beyond me...the iod is another that appeals to me for the same reason.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Simplicity is what I like also and the MAX is simple to me. I just don't get into all of the knob tweaking. I leave both EQs (the passive tone controls on the tube side & the 7-band graphic on the solid state side) set flat. All of the other features are tweaked on an as needed basis. My approach is that the controls are nice to have if and when you need them. So for me it's more like a plug and play kind of preamp. I usually run in stereo mode and while I like that I do have the ability of being able to bi-amp, stereo suits me just fine.

All but one of my basses are active so I adjust tone as needed from the onboard preamp of the bass. The one passive bass that I have is a fretless. I'm a long way from being able to do a lot on it so I don't use it a great deal away from home.

I look at the RBI and see quite a few controls on it also but I can honestly say that my brief encounter with the Sansamp was a pleasant one. In fact, I may even decide to pick one up in the future. The MAX has been a great purchase for me though and I'm sure that I'm not going to let it go anytime soon. Try one if you ever get a chance to do so. You may just find that it's not as complicated as you think. ;)

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Ebozz, could you give a brief (yet somewhat detailed) explination of your setup? I thought I was with you, until you mentioned the preamp is in stereo. How can a pre run stereo, if it has a mono input?:confused: Maybe I just read wrong...

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What I do is run the full range signal into my power amp and then use both channels of PA (stereo) instead of running bridged. I guess that I did describe that wrong. Sorry about that. ;)

19. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks! I'm assuming 2 cabs?

Anyone by chance have a pic of the back panel? Again, Peavey isn't very informitive. I was just wondering the hook-up options.

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Most of the time I use two 112 Genz Benz cabs. I've got a 410 Benz also and if I decide to use it, I run the PA bridged (mono) using the full range signal from the preamp. Here's a bad picture of the back of one.

[​IMG]

From left to right:

Power cable :)

ground lift

balanced output (low Z)
    unbalanced output

full range preamp out
    high preamp out
    low preamp out

remote footswitch input (one footswitch for channel select, combine and effects loop)

three inputs that will allow you to use a total of three pedals to acheive the same results as using the one pedal above.

effects loop send and return