Peavey Max preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Jul 29, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    What's the tone of this preamp? Does it have a tone of it's own or does it sound like another? How does it measure up to an ampeg SVP-Pro?
  2. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its a good preamp for the money. I don't like it as much as the SVP, but its really just a matter of taste. The SVP is warmer, and I like its mids a little better.
  3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Most people are going to say that the SVP-Pro is the better of the two but I actually chose the Max over the Ampeg preamp. I guess that saying about tone being subjective is true. ;)

I just liked the tone of it better with the gear that I have. I think that you can get Ampeg-like tones out of the Max and it offers a lot more tonal options also. At their current costs or if they both cost the same thing, I would still go with the Max over the SVP-Pro.

Here's what another person had to say on a different forum regarding his comparison of the Max and an Alembic F1-X:

The Max and SVP-Pro are both great preamps. See if you can try them both with an open mind. The tone of my Max works for me. I do wish that it had a tuner out. Other than that I'm very happy.