Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Max preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Jul 29, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    What's the tone of this preamp? Does it have a tone of it's own or does it sound like another? How does it measure up to an ampeg SVP-Pro?

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its a good preamp for the money. I don't like it as much as the SVP, but its really just a matter of taste. The SVP is warmer, and I like its mids a little better.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Most people are going to say that the SVP-Pro is the better of the two but I actually chose the Max over the Ampeg preamp. I guess that saying about tone being subjective is true. ;)

I just liked the tone of it better with the gear that I have. I think that you can get Ampeg-like tones out of the Max and it offers a lot more tonal options also. At their current costs or if they both cost the same thing, I would still go with the Max over the SVP-Pro.

Here's what another person had to say on a different forum regarding his comparison of the Max and an Alembic F1-X:

The Max and SVP-Pro are both great preamps. See if you can try them both with an open mind. The tone of my Max works for me. I do wish that it had a tuner out. Other than that I'm very happy.