Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey MAX Tube/SS PreAmp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Aug 6, 2004.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Anyone use this or have an opion of it? I guess you can get one new for $339 but I was wondering if anyone has one and what they thought of it.

Reading about it on the PEAVEY Website it has two channels, 1 Tube channel and the other SS channel. I guess there is also a blend feature combining the two channels.
    :eyebrow:

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    i've heard nothing but good about it. if I found a good deal on a used one, I would pick it up.

3. i used one before i worked for peavey. i liked it a lot, but i found there are many others i prefer. i would not be sad if i had to use one again, though.

what did it for me was, while it sounded very nice live, it was very brittle into my computer for recording. the ampeg SVP-BSP i had at the time sounded really great direct, and i needed the cash. i've since sold the BSP and gotten a warwick quadruplet preamp. i like the quadruplet quite a bit more than either of the other two.

robb.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's a nice preamp IMO but I did not like the stock generic chinese made tube that it came with. I changed that tube to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and feel that the results were much improved. I've also used the Yugosalvian Ei Elite 12AX7/ECC83 with gold plating with good results in the MAX. The Sovtek gave it a smoother more defined tone and the Ei sounds similar & more musical.

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    How can you tell if it's just the tubes providing an unfavorable sound, or if it's the whole entire preamp? Trial and error only?

:ninja:

-T

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Trial & error is probably the only way. Changing a single tube in the case of the MAX is a fairly inexpensive way to alter the tone of the unit. IMO the MAX has many more favorable tones than unfavorable ones even with the stock tube that I didn't like. Like rcz, there are other preamps that I like more but the MAX is a very solid unit new or used.

7. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    The MAX doesn't have a crossover does it?

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes, it does! And, it's a nice one! :)

9. i bought mine used for $200. i sold it to a friend for $175. in comparison, i bought my quadruplet used for $450, and the svp-bsp for $350 used.

the money works out quite nicely in any case. it's hard to beat it for the money. until i try out an RBI, i am confident the max is a great value.

robb.

10. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm interested in trying out the Max (SS or tube), RBI, and RPM (as someone else had suggested that the RPM is much smoother and not as disortiony). Any observations from people that have tried all 3 (or any two)?

-T

11. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    I have one. I like it.

Sounds good.

Very quiet.

Nice features.

Good value.

YMMV

12. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    THanks everyone. I think that I will start saving for one. Its nice to have the best of both the SS and tube world, having the crossover as well is what sold it for me. :bassist:

AND if someone is trying to sell one let me know. :D

13. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I use the Peavey T-Max head... it has the same preamp ánd a great power section included. I don't know if you want to use it as a backup or a main preamp, but this head is really worth buying. Secondhand price in Europe is 400 euro, but I can imagine if you easily could buy it for less in the VS.

The first thing really caught my eye (actually my ears) was the great tube sound it provided. Better than SWR, because the can't provide a bit of tube distortion. And just that edge makes bass alive... Just a very well sounding amplifier for a small price.

Head Specs: 550W @ 2ohms; 350W @ 4ohms; 280W (approx.) @ 8 ohms. DDT speaker compression, seven band EQ and high/low shelving, cross-over (frequency + balance). I can't stop saying that I definitely recommend it.

14. i had to borrow a head for a gig once and found myself very comfortable with the t-max from an engineering prototype of the t-max/210 combo. it was a little light on power for a single bergantino HT-112, but it sounded quite nice. i got to the gig and there was a house rig of a first generation firebass 700 and a 410 (can't recall if it was a TVX or a pro). i used the 700 to power my HT-112 and had a great gig, soundwise.

robb.

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah, I connect at first an Eden cab, MBX210. Sounded great, but after listening to the Bag End stuff I got a 410 of it. The speaker is really another point too... good speakers make the head sometimes sound even a lot better then you would think.