Peavey Max vs. Ampeg SVP-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Ampeg SVP-Pro

18 vote(s)
  2. Peavey Max

9 vote(s)
  1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Which do you like? How does the tube section of the Peavey sound compared to the Ampeg? Does the Solid-State section offer more versatility?
  2. The fact that the Max (and its head cousin, the T-Max) has both tube and s.s. channels is very useful. In the case of the Max , you can blend in the desired level of each channel or go for one or another independently. Also, if the tube channel quits, you can still use the s.s.

I own both a Max and a T-Max that are part of 2 different rigs. The Max is an excellent pre-amp. That being said, I can't compare it to a a SVP-Pro because I have never tried the Ampeg.

3. 12Toes

Apr 19, 2001
    Lexington, KY
    Don't know about the ampeg, I got the max preamp. Lots of tone possibilities, clean, and super cheap. I got mine on ebay for $150 with a buy it now. Looked for them on ebay the past couple of days, looks like their going for ~170. Like I said, I don't have and have never used the ampeg. That said, at $150~$200 you would be crazy not to try the max out. Not your sound??, list it on ebay. The ampegs tend to go for 3x that of the Max. It's the cheapest test drive I can think of.
  4. You don't get the ampeg sound without ampeg equipment. No one raves about "The peavey sound". I have peavey and ampeg equipment, and the peavey sounds okay in a bedroom. But the ampeg is how I want (and a lot of other people) want to sound. This is why I have a SVP-pro. I bought it on ebay MINT for $300. Actual tube preamp (more than one preamp tube, 5 actually), and it flaunts it by allowing you to overdrive the preamp with the gain and drive controls. Then it's Bass/Mid(and Freq selection)/Treble controls. The a Ultra Lo/Hi, Bright switch. Then a 9 band graphic EQ with assignable gain, which is all footswitchable.

I've played on quite a bit of peavey equipment at the stores, and have messed with a T-max. The SVP's the man. Not that the peavey's a bad piece, but it can't hang in this situation.
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm surprised that so many feel that good about the Max. I just knew that the perception of Peavey being low quality would cause people to overwhelmingly choose the SVP-Pro.
  6. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    I think a lot of players need to get over gear "snobbery" and trust their ears. Ignore the logo on the gear and go with what you think sounds good (and what you can afford). That being said - what, are you crazy? Buy the Ampeg! It's a no-brainer, dude.