Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Megabass - Repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cobweb Strange, Jan 17, 2004.

1. I have two Peavey Megabass heads that I've had for years. I really like the tone, but they both started giving me problems this year. One will work for about 3 hours, then it cuts out. The other will drop to almost no volume and to get the volume to kick back in, I have to turn it all the way up and slap the pickups. I've been looking around the Atlanta, GA area for someone who fixes solid state amps and there haven't been many people who work on them.

I'd buy a new one, but they quit making them several years ago. Is it better to try to get them fixed or just move on and find something else? Does anyone know what a comparable amp would be?

-Wade

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there,

In my opinion-and this is only my opinion-I think I would move onto something else. It sounds like it would be such a pain in the rear getting them both fixed, I would go onto something else.

As far as what to get-well, that one's hard to answer. There is all kinds of stuff out there. That really comes down to what kind of sound you prefer. I suggest you really do your research-see whats really reliable, and what isn't. match what kind of sound you're after to those facts, and I believe you'll have a great end result.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide! :)

Tim