Peavey Microbass input jack repair - please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sessionz, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Sessionz

Sessionz

Jul 14, 2020
    Hi,

I bought my first bass and amp last week, all on a low budget.

When i went to test the amp (Peavey Microbass) I noticed the front washer and nut were missing. When inserting the cable in I realised that the part inside the amp's jack input that holds the cable in place is broken or missing. The amp is playable, but the cable would come out if pulled. The seller offered me £10 off, i figured I could find the part and replace it. Except I can't.

I've looked everywhere for the right kind of input jack to replace it but can't find one that matches, or the right info.

Bear with me, I'm new to all this, this was the first amp i took apart!
    I've added some pictures of what it looks like, including the soldered points underneath to try and show the pin configuration.

IMG_20200713_154340.jpg
    IMG_20200713_154411.jpg
    IMG_20200713_154419.jpg
    IMG_20200713_154454.jpg
    IMG_20200713_154506.jpg
    IMG_20200713_154726.jpg

The closest i found was a 4-pin fender input jack, but on closer inspection the pins aren't in the right configuration. I've added a picture.

fender.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, I'm struggling to find what I need.

Edit: it's a Peavey Microbass II.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Uts a fairly unique part, contact a Peavey authorized service depot.

If you don't have (real) experience soldering, I suggest that you get some help. The lands are oversized and difficult to work with, thus easily damaged.

RSBBass and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I inherited a little Hartke 15w practive amp and the input jack was missing the washer and nut. I went to Ace Hardware and bought a pack that had various sizes and 1 of them matched. I did have to use some needle nose pliers to pull out the jack to where the nut would catch the threads as they weren't right up front. Looked like the black plastic one in the pic.

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's a nonstandard thread

Also, the OP said the jack was broken off.

DWBass likes this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You say that this is the first amp you have taken apart. What makes you think you can repair it? No offence meant but you could end up with a permanently damaged amp.

IMHO it's Tech time.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    From the posted pics, there doesn't appear to be any damage; the only thing wrong appears to be that it's missing the nut and washer. Given the presence of metal threads, I think it would be worth at least trying the nut from a standard Switchcraft Type 12 or 112 1/4"-phone jack. Sweetwater (for instance) sells the complete jack with nut and washer for about a buck-and-a-half. Maybe you could remove one temporarily from a friend's amp to see if that would fit? There really are a limited number of thread options for a replacement nut if the jack itself isn't actually damaged.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Agreed, but that's not what the original post said.

I would try to find a suitable nut, any REAL repair shop will have a collection.

Redbrangus likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021