Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey microbass... odd sounds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Growler, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    I've been playing for about 6months on a peavey microbass and a fender P-MIM. Anyhow, it seems that the amp picks up EVERY sound on the bass including, and this is what kills me, if I slide my fret hand up/down the neck barely touching the strings, I can *clearly* hear it through the amp. Also, every time I push down on one of the strings with my fret hand, I can hear the string hit the fret. I'm not pressing very hard nor quickly with my fretting fingers.

The catch is while at class using one of my teachers amps, I do not hear these sounds at all. But just those that I would expect. I've considered getting a newer amp/cab/combo as first off I'm not really impressed with the sounds coming out of my practice amp and the addition of these sounds.

Is it a defective practice amp? Is this a symptom of this grade/style/type of amp? I've considered just packing up my guitar and heading down to the local guitar shop and test out a few amps of the next step up to see if they display the same symptoms, but I figure I'd ask around here first.

Could it be the guitar?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Growler

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Turn down the treble a bit on the amp...

And practice, practice, practice....

Your Technique, Technique, Technique...

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm with Th9nker in saying to turn down the treble - same problem when I turn up the treble all the way in my Ibanez

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    On a side note, I really like it when I am listening to a modern recording and I hear the occasional string noise on the guitar or bass...

It reminds me that there are actual humans playing the music instead of it being spit out of a machine like so much of it these days...

5. Growler

Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    No treble adjustment on the amp... just low/mid/high knobs, but if I turn down the mids, I don't get some of the odd sounds (like if I lightly tap the body i can barely hear a tone from the amp). Of course with the mids turned down, the overall sound isn't as good.

Changing the treble/bass knob on the guitar has zero effect as well.

Growler

6. the high basicly is the treble

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hehe - you should try playing thru a real hi-fi rig. you would get fits. :p

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sounds to me like the Microbass might actually be the best thing for you right now, after all it is just a practice amp, right? As th9nker already mentioned, a lot (but maybe not all) of that noise is caused by your technique. If the Microbass is amplifying it, work on minimizing it.

It should be noted that all amps magnify these sounds to some extent though. When I slide my fret hand down the strings, I can hear it through my amp too, which is the case with every amp I've ever had. I'm interested to know what kind of amp your teacher uses.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    The PM with its dwarf like 8" unit has no right to be as good as it is.
    Its the best bang for buck ever found. The ultimate portable practice amp