1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Microbass Replacement driver...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luke73, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Probably not really worth the trouble (but I'm gonna do it anyway :D), but I've got a 1990's US made Peavey Microbass combo.

It's a nice little amp, but the driver was crapped out when I got it second hand (eBay...).

Anyway, I'm not really too fussed about the fact that the driver was gone when I received it - it was nice and cheap. I threw a generic 8" driver in it that I had kicking around, and it's OK - but not fabulous...but would like to replace it with something more suitable.

Any specific suggestions on a replacement driver for a 20w Peavy Microbass?

:)

2. Probably be aswell getting another one second hand on ebay :p

3. ...and the likelyhood that it's driver is cactus too may be good.

It's simple.

I've got a US made Peavey Microbass from the early nineties.

Its speaker died.

I know it's not a very valuable amp...I have a number of amps that are much nicer.

...but, I like it, and I don't like having things that don't work as well as they might.

As a result I want to replace the speaker with the best replacement I can find.

Does anybody have any useful suggestions?

;)

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why not give Peavey a call and find out what they have to say? People say that that is one of the best amps Peavey made - a really good sounding value of a practice amp. You ought to put it back in that condition if you can for minimal dollars.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Peavey driver and basket replacement quality and prices are very good and their website links to almost all their dealers so you can purchase going right through the Peavey site's descritiption of whatever part/unit/toy you are looking at at the time. You can even comparison shop though this clever web dealer network.

They also publish a list of what driver parts go into what cabs and combos (and often upgrading to current specs as well) so it's not that tough to deal with this.

6. Very true Greenboy, though it seems that the Microbass isn't listed in their speaker replacement guide though.

I've sent Peavey an email though, and I'm sure they'll dig up the appropriate information.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Since you've replaced the driver already I'm assuming you don't have the old driver any more to get it repaired/replaced by Peavey? It's a shame because Peavey deliberately and specifically engineers their speakers to be repairable in the field. This makes the speakers more expensive to manufacture (they manufacture their own, one of the very few (only?) amp companies to do so, but it is worth it to them.

I would recommend going to Peavey. That's a great little practice amp, worth repariang and keeping, even if it costs more than a new made in China amp to do so. Why put it in a landfill?

Another good source for replacement drivers that I recommend is www.partsexpress.com . Give them a look!

8. Nope, don't have the original unfortunately...really should have kept it.

I agree it's a great little practice amp. I like it alot, and I'm of the opinion it's better than most 20w combos around these days (although I do have a Warwick Blue Cab 20 which is very nice :)).

Thanks for the partsexpress tip.

I'll see what Peavey have to say about it.

Living in Australia makes it a little more difficult though. I can order speakers from many US dealers, but shipping kills.

One particular online quote had the shipping alone at double the price of the speaker itself :(

;)

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For the few things that aren't listed I've always called them or emailed. Quick response, great service.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would guess that you should be able to find something like Parts Express in Australia.

11. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Call 877-732-8391 or 601-483-5365 ext. 1386 for parts.

You need part #70777082 for the replacement speaker.

Hope this helps...

12. Fantastic. That's a great help.

Thanks.