Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Microbass vs Ashdown Perfect 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bruce B, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Help me decide on a good practice amp. I know many people have been happy with the Peavey and that was what I was going to get, but ZZ has the Perfect 10 for the same price. It's got a little more power and a 10" speaker. Does it sound much better than the little Peavey? I'm playing through a guitar amp now and the sound sucks.

Cheers,

Bruce

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Behringer BX600 combo is so much better than the Microbass. I haven´t tried the Ashdown 10. But when I was looking for a practise combo the BX600 beet everything in it´s pricerange and a good bit higher priced combos too.

3. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, I'll check that one out as well.

4. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Well, after finding this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136196

The Peavey might be out of the running. Seems they aren't what they used to be. I'll probably go with the Ashdown but I wish I could find more reviews on it. I guess it's fairly new? Also looking at others in that range though.

Bruce

5. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    I think I found the thread you're talking about SMASH. It's a little tricky since the search function ignores both the words "after" and "eight". It looks like you were impressed with it though. Probably can't beat the Perfect Ten for $139. Although ZZ had a "blemished" fifteen from that series for $159. I don't know if they still have that deal but I'm a little worried about exactly what "blemished" means. It is tempting though, if they still have it.

Bruce

6. my 2 cents go and find some stuff that is in ur price range at a local music store or pawn shop try it out and get whatever u like best.

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Try Ebay deals on the smaller amps and you could save a lot. The amps mentioned so far would all work for a practice amp assuming you mean bedroom volumes and maybe a plus, such as a headphone jack (ideal for keeping family peace). I still play my original 83' Peavey 40watt 1x12 practice amp. It is still in pristine condition and tough as hell. Not attempting to steer you away from Ashdown but Peavey is tough as nails. Behringer has some of the best prices and are German engineered but built in China. Decent though for the $. Enjoy your purchase and happy thumping!

I just re-read the replies. If your needing to spend only 139.00 and can get Ashdown new, do it!

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    All three of these amps are now MADE IN CHINA!

9. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    I don't necessarily have to stay that low but I didn't want to put too much into a small practice amp. It looks like the Ashdown is the winner though.

Bruce

10. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I realize that but is there an amp even close to that range that's not?

Bruce

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've never had a problem buying blemished gear, it's usually just a cosmetic ding and I think ZZ still gives you the warranty and return policy on blems.

I bought a blem Epi Riviera from MF and I couldn't even find what was wrong with it!