Peavey Milestone II Overhaul

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Largemouth_Bass, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Largemouth_Bass

Aug 11, 2000
    Hi guys,

I have come across a Peavey Milestone II P-bass copy. I am wondering if Fender necks will be able to work with this guitar? If so, where can I find a standard Fender Jazz neck on or off the web? Finally, I want to change the color of this bass. Do major music chains do this? If so, how much? Would this be a fairly easy job for me to undertake? Thank you so much for all your help.
  2. Well, Largemouth, the only thing that will probably stop you from mounting a Fender neck on your body is the shape of the neck pocket. Most decent Fender copies have very similiar pockets but Peavey is sort of bent on their own designs. If your pocket is smaller, the modification is fairly easy for an experienced luthier but if it's larger, from a practical sense, you can forget about it.

As for the changing the color, it doesn't sound like you've got much experience in this area so I would recommend taking the body to a luthier in your area for an estimate on refinishing. Where I'm at (Atlanta) a good refinish could run as much as $300 depending on finish. You CAN do this yourself, but the results are directly proportional to the level of care taken, the quality of the materials used, and the amount of time put in on the project.

The best source for Fender style necks is Warmoth. Their parts are incredibly high quality and they are licensed to make Fender replacements. The cost is NOT cheap however and you should take a long hard look at what you are trying to accomplish with such a retooling. It would be easy to have more in the neck than the entire bass is worth.
  3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Unless you're getting it for free, why not just buy a different bass?

The Milestone is one of Peavey's least expensive basses. I'm sure they are available in different colors too.

But if you're going to buy a new neck, and pay someone to refinish the body, you're going to be past the price of a new MIM Fender. And what's wrong with the Peavey neck anyway?