Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Millenium 5 BXP vs. Brice HXB-405 Bubinga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MetalWarrior, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Peavey Millenium 5 BXP

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Brice HXB-405 Bubinga

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sales:Guitar Center
    i'm a guitarist who's interested in getting a cheap 5-string to learn, screw around, and do some recording with (through the bass amp models on a Johnson J-Station or through a PreSonus TubePre), on a poor college student budget.

i've heard good and bad about both of these, but a lot of the people i've talked to aren't familar with Brice at all. basically, i just want something that will play well, sound decent, and look good, for under $300. the Peavey is $240 new at a local store, altho i found the same model online, new, for $200, and the Brice is $260.

if it makes a difference, the Peavey is made in Indonesia, while the Brice is made in Korea.

so which of these is the better instrument for the money?

http://rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849|940496&PRID=1372947
    http://peavey.com/products/shop_onl.../wc/1A1A2523/fam/1A35A/tcode/3/millennium.cfm

thanx.

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    Brice = Gay
    Peavey = less gay

3. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    2 problems with this response:

1. that tells me absolutely nothing
    2. "gay" when used in the pejorative sense = not cool

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    :scowl:

Delete the post man.. Not cool..

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have no experience with Brice, but I have played some Peavey basses and came away with positive experiences. The Peavey Fury 6 was a surprisingly good sixer for the $380 price. The Grind BXP I tried was rather nice, though quite heavy. Peavey's stock pups and active electronics work great for me. Pretty quiet and sound good.

I'd go Peavey.

6. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    if you vote in the poll, could you post why you voted how you did? like explain what you like better about the instrument you chose.

7. Although I have no experience with the HXB, I will say that I have the Brice V2 fretless 5 and am very happy with it, it plays very well and sounds great. I started a thread a little while back comparing the HXB, Z, and V2 6-ers and got positive reviews on all three.
    As for BrowneBass's childish comment, its things like that that give rise to the term "stupid kid", very stereotypicall for 16 year old. If he wants to waste time and space with moronic comments like that he should do it in some lame AOL chatroom like "Linkin Park RULZZZ" or some other brain dead location.
    In other words,
    Hush little boy, the grown ups are talking.
    OK, i am done ranting....for now

8. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    bump

9. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    one last bump

10. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Peavey, 240 in the local store. Then you have somewhere to run to if it breaks down. Good, solid instruments as well!

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Dude, that little diatribe was..........GAY ! :)

12. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    having a place to go if it breaks down isn't an issue. i already do all my own electronic work on my instruments, and there's another, better tech here anyway.

13. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Okay, I still vote for Peavey!

14. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior

Oct 2, 2004
    Boston, MA
    come on, i want to know reasons