Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Millenium 5 stirng or Yamaha TRB-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Mar 5, 2002.

1. ok here's the dilemma...

I have a chance to buy a Yamaha TRB-5 for $450 in a week or so...BUT if I wait til June, I can get a Peavey Millenium 5 string bass (w/ the J/MM pickup configuration) for $750.

Which should I go for. I really need a 5 string bass, but not desperately. I can wait til June if i know that the Peavey is worth the wait.

What would you guys do?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The question is, do you need 24 frets or not?

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Are you crazy??? GET THE TRB!!!!!
    for $450??? jump on that sucker and don't look back!

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Let me just say that I've never personally tried a TRB but I have heard very good things about them. I currently own a Millennium and I can definitely say that it is a great bass. What condition would both be in? How old are they? Is it just the regular Millennium or the Millennium Plus? Have you tried both of them? I'd love to know how you feel they stack up against one another.

It seems that you have two very good options and that's a nice postion to be in. :)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The fit & finish is better on the Peavey, the preamp is quieter and more versatile, and IMHO the pickups are more versatile too.

The price is right on the Yamaha.

I would wait and get the Millenium.

The choice is up to you.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  7. just to add to the descriptions of the basses...

the Peavey Millenium PLUS (5 string) has the Tiger Eye finish...and has only received 12 of serious playing (or so the guys says :rolleyes:).

The Yamaha TRB-5 has a reddish/orange transparent color that allows you to see the Swamp Ash underneath. Good condition.

Does that change anything?

the kind of music I will be playing with the 5 string is a lot of gospel and funk/fusion.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Tiger Eye for me! It would have to have the case for me to do $750.00 though.

[​IMG]

9. well see, I know that I can't go wrong with either bass.

I just want to know which bass is a better buy altogether.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That about sums it up.

11. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    You MAY (read SHOULD) consider checking out a Peavey Fury V. It retails for 599.99. At 30% off you have a BEAUTIFUL, QUALITY new bass at a little over $400.!!!

Really, were it American made the retail would be much greater. Despite what few reviews I've read the B string is plenty taunt (all the new Fury's are stb).
    The pups & preamp are fine too!
    I think mine compares favorably to all the Millennium basses I've played in fit & finish *&* most importantly...SOUND.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Millenniums are VERY very NICE. For the money my Fury 5 was a STEAL!

You want a GREAT buy?
    Check into a Fury!

some guy#2 is not now, nor has ever been an employee of Peavey
    :D

12. Hahahahahahaahahaaahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahaha. I just got my TRB 2 days ago, and now it is having a 3-Band Vari Mid EMG pre amp being fitted along with EMG pups. Yay for me, yay for my job, yay that I managed to sell my Ibanez BTB for nearly as much as i payed for it making it possible to buy this bass, Yaymaha.

sim

Oh yeah, I like the Yamaha, never played a Peavy (shrugs)

sim

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    No disrepect intended but the Fury is not even in the same ball park as the Millennium. Nice bass but not nice enough to say that it compares favorbly to the Millennium.

14. looks like the Yamaha is my bass...I really want to fit that bass with Bartolini pickups and a preamp.

But I heard that the preamp is just fine as it is.

Thanks guys for helping me out!:) :D :)

15. Does Bartolini make pickups and preamps that fit the Yamaha TRB-5?

16. embellisher

It's not in the same ballpark as the Yamaha, either.

17. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Just played some again tonight (Cirrus, Millennium's et al)

I stand by my assessment...which is most definitely NOT me, so there is little, to no chance of my being "disrespected"!

You know though ebozzz, you may be right after all. One shouldn't compare the Fury & Millenniums at all. For the money the Fury is a much nicer bass!

YOUR opinion may vary!

Good Day

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've played five brand new Peavey Fury basses (the latest quilt top version) in the past few months - two 6-strings and three 5-strings. The electronics seemed very nice for a bass in their price range, but not one of the basses that I tried had an even-close-to-acceptable B-string. If one of the Fury 6'ers would have had a better (tighter) B-string, I probably would have bought one.

some guy#2, I'm glad your Fury is working out for you.

Back on topic:
    Rafterman, if you think you have to upgrade the Yamaha's electronics, I would wait and get the Millennium.

19. embellisher

I agree.

Rafterman, Yamaha preamps are notorious for hiss in the high end. Make sure that you play it first, and make sure that you can live with the noise when you turn the treble up.

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, unless you're doing serious studio-work or crank the treble knob to the maximum (and accentuates that by turning up the treble knob on the amp ;)), the hissing won't be audible in a mix. But it's there.