Peavey Millenium Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 29, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Somebody please straighten me out on these things.

Years ago I picked one up in a store, and it felt and sounded great. It had a variable mid control, a jazz pickup and a MM pickup. It cost somewhere around the $1000 mark.

Then they put out a whole bunch of milleniums that they're selling for dirt cheap. When the newer ones originally came out I believe they were pretty much bare bones basses without active electronics - no mid control (I could be wrong).

Now I'm seeing closeouts on Milleniums with a mid control and the jazz/MM setup going for around $300. Are these the high end ones? How does one know the difference? What the hell was Peavey thinking putting out 2 basses with the same name - one close to the top of their line and the other close to the bottom of their line? It makes little sense. I'm so confued. Someone please explain this all to me and set me straight. Thanks.

Just curious about it all.
  2. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Not much of a help but the ones for that price I think are the newer ones. I think you can tell with the high end Peavey milleniums is that they were made in the usa and have pretty excellent craftsmanship on par with the cirrus.And The High end ones usaly dont have cheap looking tops like the cheaper ones.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Joe, the new import Millenniums do not have the J/MM setup. They have J only pickups. The USA ones have VFL pickups like a Cirrus and have Pau Ferro or Maple fingerboards. You can get used ones for $300 on ebay. As you know, these are great basses, on par with the Cirrus or Laklands.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What Cheese said.

The USA Millenniums are a great value on the used market.

If it has VFL J/MM looking pickups, it is the USA mdoel.