Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Millenium Plus "J" basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Oct 24, 2002.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Anybody played one?? I know how the Millenium Plus basses with the standard J/MM pup configuration sound and play, I am just wondering what the difference in sound is with the 2 J pups instead of the MM.

2. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Anybody???:confused:

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd also like to know what's up with them Millennium J/J basses and I know what you're thinking Ryan. ;)

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Theres a guy on Ebay that has 2 of these up for auction in Tiger Eye with the J/J configuration. They come with case. They are new floor display models.

I bought the one he had (he had 3 total) with the MM/J configuration (he ended the auction early for an offer I made him).

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You got that one? Congrats.:)

Those are the ones that I am looking at. I am thinking about snagging one of em. I suppose that is one way I could find out how they sound--just buy one.:D

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've had my eye on those also. A couple of weeks ago someone let a couple of them go for dirt cheap - like $300. If I wasn't so damn poor I'd have taken the gamble, I never played one of the J ones either. I'm still looking for a good deal on a J/MM.

I wonder why the milleniums don't seem to be as popular as their other basses??? I think they're phenomenal basses. Great necks, great sound, more versatility than any othe bass I've played due to the sweepable mid control. Is there something I'm missing about milleniums?

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a feeling of what I think that it is but I'll keep my thoughts to myself. Resale value probably has something to do with it also. Your description of the Millennium is dead on IMO.

8. usually it's like this :

2 jazzes have more warmth ( fingerstyle ).. and a J/MM has more punch ( percussive style )

9. I am that "guy" who has the basses up on Ebay, they're great basses, unfortunately they just aren't catching on AT ALL. I have to get rid of them, they've worn out their welcome at my store, and I need to free up some $$$ to go shopping at NAMM in January for new stuff for my store.
    The 2 J/J models I have left are identical spec, and come w/ the SKB case also.
    I'm not trying to hawk them here, so please don't delete this post, just trying to provide some reason as to why they're up for sale on Ebay.
    Thanks,
    Rod

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    the Millenniums with the J/MM pickup configuration? Can you describe the diefference in tone that you get from the Millenniums when compared to other basses with J/J setups? Thanks.

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well,

I think I might just try to snag one of em. The worst that can happen is that I won't really like the sound, but what the heck, it can go back on Ebay just as easily is it comes off, I guess.

I am looking for something with more of a "Jazz" type of vibe to it. But, a regular Fender Am. Deluxe Jazz only has a 34" scale, and I like 35"ers. These come with the Hipshot D Tuner, which is also a plus. Also a Hipshot Bridge. (As you can tell, I am talking myself into it here;) )

Gonna go and place a bid.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I won the auction on one of these things, so I will let you guys know how it sounds when I get it and get a chance to play it. I used to own one with the J/MM configuration, so I am interested to see how this one compares sound-wise.

Picked it up for $450+shipping, so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Especially considering what I paid for the J/MM Millenium Plus I had about a year ago.:)

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a one that's has a maple board, J/MM configuration, flamed maple top and ruby red finish. The deal I got was pretty good but you got a smokin' buy! I look forward to hearing your opinion of the J/J Millennium. It might be my bad eyesight but the pickups seem to spaced a little wider than a typical J-bass. I'm curious as how it effects the tone if that's the case.

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I noticed that too. Way wider than a typical "Fender-type" Jazz bass. I am anxious to get it and see what it is like. Hopefully it will be a keeper.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pics? Reviews? The Peavey Bass faithful (which includes me) want more information!!! :)

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Any new info on that J/J Millennium Ryan?

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't know about Ryan's, but I'm getting the MM/J from the same guy and he just informed me that my Cashier's Check finally arrived today (USPS Priority.....took 2 weeks :mad: ). I hope UPS is a little faster getting the actual bass to me.

If anyone's interested I'll post pix when I get it. Its the same "Tiger Eye" as Ryan's but has a Maple board and the MM/J configuration.

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK. It showed up on Monday the 18th (held up at Canadian customs for 5 days :mad: ).

This bass is stunning to look at. These pix don't do it justice. I won't be able to give it a real run through till Thursday (next gig) with the full rig but the feel alone is excellent. I'll post a complete review after. I'm sure Ryan will give some pix and info on his also when he's ready (My prayers to you and your Father).

Also, big ups to Rod Harder (what a great RockStar name), aka "HarderMan", the dealer who sold this to me at a great price. It was packed excellently and shipped promptly.

So...here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Body angled.

20. PhatBasstard