Peavey Millenium USA Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, May 6, 2005.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I just picked up a Peavey Millenium USA that has a concentric Variable Mid with a Mid Sweep.

Can anyone tell me how these interact together?

By the way, what a kick ass bass!!

Mine is black pearl with maple neck and fretboard.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are great basses! And a great value on the used market, too. I would like to get one some day.

My Cirrus has the same preamp.

The small knob at the top is the boost/cut(+/-) control for the midrange.

The concentric ring around the small knob is the frequency selector. Turn it one direction, and it moves the band of the mids more towards the bass end of the spectrum. Turn it the other way, and it moves it towards the treble.

Hope this helps!
  3. same preamp huh?
    Does it sound like a cirrus?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have owned 2 of these in the past. One with the MM/J pup configuration, the other with the J/J pups, both of them 4 strings with the Hipshot D-Tuner. Those two, along with my Cirrus 5, are all basses that I regret getting rid of terribly. They are great basses that really have seemed to get overlooked, so like Jeff said, they are a great value on the used market.
  5. embellisher

They sound like cousins, but not identical twins. The pickup aperatures on the Millennium is different, and it has a bolt on neck instead of neck through.

The Millennium is punchier, a bit more Lakland or Fender like.

The Cirrus is more compressed, with more fundamentals in the sound. More modern.

Don't get me wrong, both basses sound pretty modern. But the Cirrus is more modern.

And only the tigereye and custom shop Cirrus models have the Millennium preamp. 95% of the Cirrus' out there have the Cirrus preamp.
  6. what about construction quality? Which is more suited for jazz and gospel?

Is there a difference in the usa millennium and the millennium plus? Or are they the same?
  7. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Fabuluous basses. Picked up a Shoreline Gold, with a fairly large scratch on the back, for the princely sum of $207.00 shipped from the bay.

Very versatile and very overlooked. Preamp on this produced far greater range of tones than on the Cirrus I had.
  8. embellisher

The only difference in the USA Millennium and the USA Millennium Plus is that the Plus has a flamed maple top and birdseye maple fingerboard.

Don't confuse these with the newer, imported Millenniums. Not in the same class at all.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to agree with the previous posts. The PEavey USA Millenniums are great. I had one until I picked up my SR5 and I may get one again since it sounds much like a Lakland 55-02 at a much, much cheaper price.
  10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Adding to Embellisher's comment, I think the Millennium Plus had Hipshot tuners which the regular version didn't. There are probably a few variations as well. My fiver is not a plus but I ordered it with the birdseye maple/matching headstock option.
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Yes, that does help me. Sorry to be getting back to this post so late, was gone for the weekend.

I am floored by this bass. Gigged with it on Friday night through my Trace elliot VA400 and TE 2x15. I have owned a Cirrus 4 (Maple / Alder), and to be quite honest, the Millenium USA (IMO) outshines the Cirrus in all aspects.

Perhaps it is the preamp / pup configuration. I love this preamp and pup combination for their warmth, articulation and huge sound.

With the Cirrus, I could not dial in a soloed bridge pup burp (for lack of a better analogy) similar to either a passive J-Bass or a MM Stingray. I know they are different sounds, but I can get both with this bass.

Second, the J-pup sounds absolutely huge and interacts with the MM pup perfectly. These pups have such a thick growly tone, but both pups smooth out so easily, if I want a warm punchy P-Bass tone. Not always attainable with the Cirrus.

The slap tone on this bass is incredible. The slap tone on the Cirrus was just ok for me, and I know alot of Cirrus owners like there slap tone, but the Millenium is effortless. The notes just jump of the fretboard, and the preamp allows me to move to a slap setting in a second. Perhaps it is the bolt-on neck and preamp combination, but whatever it is, it is addicting.

I love the weight and balance of the bass and the size of the neck. It looks great with the maple / maple neck.

If you are looking at a Lakland 44-02 or 44-94 :bag: , MM Stingray, Fender Deluxe, etc, I would, if a Millenium was around, give one a test ride.

I paid $475.00. :hyper:
  12. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Construction quality is top notch. All high end componets, graphite reinforced neck.

As embellisher said, the difference between the Millenium and the Millenium plus is the flamed tiger finish, birdsye maple fretboard and a Hipshot Drop D-Tuner.

13. So does the sound make a difference because its bolt on? I'm real interested in getting one but I have no store around me that sells it. I have played the Cirrus though and thought that was my next bass until I read this thread.

Does anyone have a sound clip?
  14. embellisher

The bad thing about these basses is that they are discontinued, and they were only on the market for a couple of years. So there aren't many of them around. Your odds of finding one in a shop are pretty low.
  15. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Don't have a sound clip, but here is one for sale on the bay.

Peavey Millenium USA
  16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Plus 4 with a maple board, a Plus 5 with a Pau Ferro board and I'm currently talking to someone about acquiring another Plus 5 with maple. No plans to let either of them go any time soon. In one sense it's a shame that they just didn't catch on. On the other hand, you can now get them for much less than their actual value.
  17. So what would be the better value in the plus 5 and lets say a Cirrus Bolt on?