1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Millenium...What am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgt. Rock, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Guys I did a search and came up with nothing. Can someone give a little help?

I currently have two basses, an Ibanez Ergodyne EDB600 and a Cort Curbow 4 (yeah, both Luthite-I like the stuff). I really enjoy them both, but I'd like to get something a little more traditional to keep as my main bass. I'm not into spending over $500 like some of you maniacs, as I have pesky mortgages and car payments and three Pit Bulls to feed.

I started poking around GC a while ago and noted the Peavey Millenniums right away. They popped right out at me. Gorgeous quilt maple top, good fit and finish, sounded ok from what I remember, but since I had no plan to buy one at the time I didn't really pay close attention to the sound.

Here's my questions: First, why are these things so affordable? On the Peavey website the Millennium 4 string AC BXP (active w/Cirrus pick ups) is listed at $329.99. The 4 string BXP (passive J's) is listed at $239.99. Frankly, I expected a minimum price point of a couple hundred bucks higher for each of them. What gives? These things are gorgeous and I haven't seen a negative review on them. At that price I assume they are made off-shore but there are numerous threads here regarding USA Millenniums. I presume that they are no longer made here? If so, what's the difference in quality and playability between a USA and an import, if any?

I could see myself picking up a new BXP (love that Sunburst and Blue!) upgrading it with a set of DiMarzio Ultra J's. So that would be around $350 for a beautiful new axe with my favorite aftermarket Jazz pickups.

So what am I missing? Too good to be true?

2. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Also, given that used USA's are anywhere from $200 and up (which seems crazy), does it even make sense to get an import unless I'm sold on the Jazz pickup configuration?

Thanks.

3. I have a USA Millennium and it's my #1 bass right now. I love the thing. But it does come with Hipshot hardware and awesome electronics. It's also 35" scale, like a Cirrus. I've never tried any of the import Millenniums but the main thing I've heard about them is that the tuners are kind of cheap. They're also 34" scale. They haven't made the USA models for several years now, which is a real shame. I had a BXP Cirrus a couple of years ago and foolishly sold it. That was really a nice bass.

I think the main reason these basses are so cheap is because of the stigma of the Peavey name. Just like all of the Peavey basses, USA and otherwise, the prices are WAY below what the quality is. If you buy one of the BXP models, report back and let us know how you like it.

4. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I have two basses, a Tobias 5 string and a Peavey Grind BXP 4 string. The grind is my go to bass. I could probably buy 10 or so Grinds for the price of the Tobias, so the price of a bass isn't that important.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    First of all the imports and the discontinued USA model have almost nothing in common but the name. While the imports are a useable bass for the price the old USA models are a FANTASTIC bass for the price. much better pickups and electronics, much better hardware, much better construction, (graphite reinforced necks for instance). What eaglemoon says is true Mine is also my #1 bass even though own a USA Cirrus. IMO you'd be better saving a few extra bucks and finding a good USA model. btw to find one in good condition you would be lucky (although it can be done) to find one for $200. $400-$600 depending on model woods color etc would be more like it. Here's mine with my cirrus.
    fampic10a.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Another USA Millennium owner here! :)

I also like the Cirrus and Grind basses. When it comes to Peavey you have to listen with your ears and not listen to people who don't.

The Millennium is a really sweet sounding bass, with a lot of character. Plus you've got the ability to change that voice with the 3 band EQ and sweepable mids. With both pickups engaged you can get a really nice Jazz tone.....from smooth to aggressive. With that logic you can also dial in P and 'Ray tones....plus everything in between.

The construction is as good as any I've seen. The bass uses high quality parts and electronics. Amazing deal for the used prices.

It's light weight, and toneful. The neck is slim and medium in width.

They aren't for everyone, but those that do like them....love them.

Here's mine:

cropped.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I LOVE this bass! I will own one someday!!

8. Stop this now. I don't need the gas. Thanks...more pics:D

PS just discovered the Peavey Millennium Club. Sweet

9. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I've never played one, but my brother swears by them. I may have to try his out when we both get home from college. I think he has a USA that he got used for around $100.

10. No. Go for a used US. I have one (not my thing, really), but it really is a high quality instrument.

Mike

11. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    The consensus so far is to go ahead and buy a used USA, which is the direction I am leaning, especially if I can dial in a variety of different tones to mimic "standard" basses.

What should I look for in terms of wear and tear? What's the weakest link that tends to go first? And what woud be a reasonable price for say, a Millennium USA in 90% condition (edit-cb56 answered this already and I missed it-thanks)? Or is that even calculable due to different finishes, features, etc.

12. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    The BXP (import) uses Hipshot tuners, FWIW. It really looks like a steal, even new.

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I think anywhere from $400 to $475 shipped is a good price for a used USA Millennium.

If it's dead mint.....$500 shipped might be okay.

I think I'm okay by saying this?

14. IMO, if you can find a USA Millennium for under $400, snatch it up. Here's mine.

MillenniumFULLBODY.

I don't know that there is a weak spot to these basses. Like any other bass, just check to make sure the neck/electronics and hardware are all functional.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The only weak spot I know of are the string retainer screws, which are a fine thread and popped out on me. The screws were replaced with a coarser thread version and have held tight since. Otherwise an awesome instrument with an especially good fit and finish! Here's my USA fiver:

DSC_1772copy.

16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I don't have a closeup available at the moment, but you can see the string retainer in this shot. It's only on the five string.

Millennium52.

17. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    That's really beautiful. I'm seeing the average price at around $400-$600. I think a lot of private sellers are incorrectly listing their newer import Millenniums as USA's which is why some are selling for $200.

18. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    Another really nice looking bass.

19. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Well since everyone else is doing it, here's my Millenniums! I love them so much! <3

HPIM1034.
    HPIM1036.

Here's a shot of the headstock that shows the string tree:
    HPIM1012.

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've owed all 3 revisions of milleniums...

get the USA plus.. budget under $500

=-------

Now here's the ditrty history.

Peavey discontinued the USA models and sold all of them to a store... this store blew them out at around $500 each. Overnight the value went from $1200 new to $500 used.

This impacted the USA and the BXP models.

Factoid 2..
    I"m not sure why.. but the USA models are commonly high action .. thgey didn't install microtilt... everyone I've setup takes 5-7 layers of masking tape to get dirt low action on.

=====

Overall.. they should have called the imports a different name..

Yes Millenium.. no import.. yes Millenium Plus.

PM me when you find one.. I'll help walk you through setting it up.