1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Millennium AC Electronics Problem/Need your help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought a used Millennium. I knew it needed some TLC but it arrived DOA. No sound, no static. I replaced the batteries and they got very hot, very quickly. I contacted the seller about a return. In the mean time, I'm wondering about replacing the preamp. From what I understand the pickups are internally active in addition to the active preamp. Is there a replacement preamp that would work with these pickups?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Contact Peavey. They may be able to provide a Millennium preamp.

3. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I purchased a replacement preamp direct from Peavey with no issue whatsoever. The Millennium AC BXP is a great bass, I have three.

TimB 619 likes this.
  4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    You have a SHORT CIRCUIT in the power circuit. Don't put in any more batteries until the problem is diagnosed and fixed.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Made a deal with the seller. He refunded half which will cover a new preamp from Peavey and installation costs if needed.

6. If the pickups are, in fact, active (the battery is connected to the pup's and not just the preamp) I would take the pre out of the circuit and test the pickups individually before you assume the issue is in the preamp.

It is probably the preamp but you should make sure before you spend money on a new one.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wouldn't think that both pickups would be bad.

8. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    With the battery removed, check the resistance from the battery + connector to ground. Based on it getting hot, there's probably a short somewhere, so you'll probably read something in the single digits. Start desoldering things from the circuit until the resistance jumps up. Then you'll have likely found the culprit.

9. I don’t either. I was just trying to suggest to find the culprit before buying new parts that may not be needed.

10. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    I have two. They are the passive versions, but they are still great basses, I agree with you 100 percent!