Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Millennium and MM Sterling - feedback?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Dec 15, 2001.

1. I am looking at both models -anyone have experience with either-good or bad? I need a good rock - blues rock bass. Is there a lot of "feel" difference between 34' and 35 " scale? Sterling is attached.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I own a Millennium Plus 4-string and I like it a lot. I'm no seasoned veteran yet but I think that it's comparable or better than what's being offered in it's price range. It's very versatile tonally, great preamp, comfortable to play, great neck and it's purty!

I've got the ruby red with the maple neck and flamed maple top. If I had to pay full price for one I would probably go for another Cirrus with a wood combination that's different from what I have already or some other offering. An MTD Grendel would be nice! I got lucky and found a good used Millennium at a very comfortable price.

I don't know much about the Sterling as I don't see many of those in my area. I can find Stingrays everywhere. I've never seen a Sterling locally. I would assume that the Millennium would be more versatile with the pickup configuration that it has. That's just my assumption though.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Mine looks like this.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had a Millenium Plus 4 string. I really liked the feel and playability of it, the Hipshot D tuner was great, and the attention to detail was perfect.

I got rid of mine and bought a Warwick FNA 4 (impulse deal, which I now regret, as I sold the Warwick on Ebay a few months later). Now I am looking into getting another Millenium again.

I don't have much time in on a Sterling, so I am not much help there. I do highly recommend the Millenium, though. Very nice basses.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sterling! i've had one for about 6 years, and i wouldn't ever sell it. it's comfortable to play, pretty versatile in the tones you can get out of it, and is built to last.

but - buy whichever one you like the most! :D

jason

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Jason,

I'm just curious. I know that you have the Sterling. Have you ever had the opportunity to play the Millennium? If so, how do you feel that they stack up against one another?

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've played both.
    (I own a Sterling)

The Millennium was great, and had a *crisp* tone, while I'd consider the Sterling's tone more *punchy*.

Both are incredible basses, though, get whichever you like more. :)

P.S. That's an incredible looking bass ebozzz, I'm sure it sounds just as good as it looks. :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with either one. The Millenium is a little more versatile, with the 2 pickup and the sweepable mids. They both have excellent fit and finish, and very playable necks. Pick the one that you like best.

Ryan, ouch!!!. You traded a Millenium plus for a Warwick FNA?:eek: I feel your pain!:D

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks CE! I'm REAL happy with it. Especially at the price that I paid. I've always been curious about that Sterling though and I've never had the chance to put my mitts on one.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah, the one I played was setup kind of poorly (the Millennium) the action was way too low, and I was just really going to checkout the BAM, so I didn't have him raise the action, or anything, but it still sounded pretty good, IMO.

I didn't really care for the D-tuner, since I never play in anything other than standard tuning, but I'm sure it comes in handy for people who actually do. :)

My Sterling I love to death, it gets me a really clear, and punchy sound, and also sounds good with slap. I think it's all subjective though. Someone's "love" may be someone's "hate."

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There's not much of anything that I hate out there. I'm the kind of guy that would love to have two of everything that's bass related! :D I've been real fortunate to obtain the stuff that I have at the moment at the cost that I did. I bought my first two, MIA Jazz & Cirrus, new and then I started subscribing to the Brad Johnson method of bass acquisition! :cool:

I needed to buy the first two basses new for the learning experience and I was able to gain a lot of knowledge from the dealers that I made those purchases from. Now that I kind of have a little more to work with knowledge wise, I look for used first. That new Peavey Grind bass has me thinking about buying a new bass again though!

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    What's the "Peavey Grind bass"?
    I've never seen, or heard of one?

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Grind Bass 4

Peavey Grind 5

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It looks nice, have you tried one yet?
    How much $$ do they run?

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They're not going to introduce them until Winter NAMM Mark. Just from reading the description it sounds like it could be a potentially great bass for the money. $1199.99 list for the 4 string and $1399.99 list for the 5.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sounds pretty nice, but I think I'd probably take a Millennium for that price. :)

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would tend to agree with you but I'd like to get an opportunity to try one after they let everyone know what the options are going to be. It's kind of got an MTD sort of vibe to it and I have two of the Czech MTD Beasts. I love them and Peavey seems to have incorporated some of the MTD design into the Grind. The list prices may even change. Peavey's being very cryptic about the Grind.

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    They usually are pretty secretive with specs and information about basses-to-be, and all.

20. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've played both and agree.
    Also, have you checked out the Peavey G-Bass?
    It's got a graphite neck that feels a lot like a sterling to me, a MM-style pickup and active electronics. One just sold on eBay for under $400 --which is not uncommon. I think it is possibly the best buy out there.