Peavey Millennium Plus 5 string!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Firestarter_75, Aug 15, 2000.

1. Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    I just got my Peavey Millennium Plus 5 string bass out of layaway today. It is awsome. It has a blue flame top and 3 band eq. I've been playing it every since I got home! It is the best bass I've played. Low action and can play it with very little effort. I know most of you think I'm probably crazy for buying a Peavey, but I like it and this is an awsome bass.

Well, I just thought I would let everyone know.
  2. frost13

Apr 12, 2000 are NOT crazy for buying a Peavey. ARE smart, for buying the bass that YOU like. It's YOUR hands playing that better feel good to them....:)
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There has never been anything wrong with Peaveys except for snobs who care about the name on your headstock.

They've always made decent basses that were competitive with other basses in their respective price ranges.

But now, thinqs are really changing in Meridian Missippi.

Cases in point:

[*]Peavey Cirrus - made of exotic woods, 35" scale, better than average fit & finish, great tone, graphite reinforced neck, all with a list price of what similar basses street prices are.

[*]Peavey G Bass - a graphite neck bass for far less than any other manufacturer, good sounding bass for you synthetic lovers. Granted, it's not in the same class fit & finish wise as Modulus or Zon, but, finally, a bassist on a budget who likes the sound and stability of graphite can afford one.

[*]The new Millenium basses. These basses look very cool, have great electronics and are very competitively priced.

Add these to past winners like the TL5, TL6, BQuad4 and Axcellerator, Peavey is building some quality basses at affordable prices..

4. jeffboy

Apr 23, 2000
    I agree %100 with frost13, if it feels good on your hands and sounds good in your ears, you made the right choice. As for any one baggin' on Peavey; I spent several months playing just about every type of bass out there. I just purchased the Peavey Cirrus 5 string and am almost as excited as you are, almost:0)
    A question comes to mind, though, I am new to the five string and am wondering how you are teaching yourself to use all of the possibilities, patterns, etc.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I really like the frequencey nob on the mid boost. Im jeallous cus my Cirrus 5 doesnt have one. Just thought Id let you know ;)
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Milleniums are Peavey's "Lakland" style basses and are well executed. The Cirrus line is very nice, especially their fretless 5 which I finally played yesterday.

Anyone who is avoiding Peavey basses because of the name is a bonehead (but I mean that in a good way;)). If this is you it should come as no surprise, you probably already know you're a bonehead :D
  7. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I started with Fender and Musicman Basses in the mid 70's, switched to Peavey in the 80's. The Peaveys play and sound better to me. I never really cared what was considered cool, I played what I liked. Peavey makes a great bass, I currently have a Cirrus 5. Enjoy your bass!!

8. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    I've had a Cirrus Redwood 6 string for almost 2 years. I still love it. I went through the Peavey name syndrome, but I could'nt find a better bass for the price. It's got the most stable neck of any of my basses regardless of price. If you like the bass, go for it. If it's anything like my Cirrus, the naysayers will shut up as soon as they hear it.
  9. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    After I posted my reply I saw you already got the bass. Good for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Next time I'll try to read a little closer.
  10. Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    Well, I don't know that I can really answer your question as I am also fairly new on 5 string. I use the 5th string alot for octaves and also, for songs that I need to hit those really low notes that are impossible with a 4 string.
  11. Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    Thanks everyone for replying. There was some very good points brought up.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 that I would not trade for the world. I like everything about it. I chose it above a Pedulla, a Warwick, an Ibanez, a Fender, etc. etc. I played all the others first, because I was going through the "name" thing. I was about ready to lay my cash down on the Warwick (Fortress One 5), when the salesman finally talked me into playing the Peavey. That was it--I bought it that same day.
    I have been wanting to get my hands on one of those Millenium Plus's, but my dealer doesn't have one in yet.
    So, I guess I will just have to be patient.
  13. I played the Peavey Cirrus 4 string neck-thru bass today and was blown away! What a great playing neck and fine sound. My eyes and ears almost popped out of my head. The finish is very good. I was toying with the idea of getting a neck-thru Fodera for twice as much money and this Peavey giving me serious second thoughts.
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It never ceases to amaze me that people have such a short memory when it comes to talking about the quality of Peavey basses. Almost everyone thinks that Peaveys were crap until last tuesday! Peavey's been putting out good basses for at least 15 years. Here's a short and incomplete list of great basses by Peavey:

The B-Quad series (The Brian Bromberg model)
    The Palaedium series (The Jeff Berlin model)
    The TL series (co-designed by studio bassist Tim Landers)
    The Rudy Sarzo bass
    The Dyna bass (a really underrated axe)
    The Axcelerator series
    The G4 series

Why is it that people can't seem to remember these great basses, yet some fall over themselves at the sight of an old Ibanez?

Will C.:cool:
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    For a lot of people saying they like Peavey is like admitting they like Spam. Hormel sells a bunch of it but hardly anyone eats it.
  17. JGover1

Dec 15, 2008
    This is the first message on this thread in over 8 years..amazing! Anyway, after being a 6 string guitar player for more years than I can count, I recently bought a 4 string Peavey Millenium. I love it!! I did a fair amount of research on other basses but kept coming back to this one. Glad I did. Not only do I really like the sound and action, it looks great too!
  18. MTMTEX

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    I own:
    3 TL-6's
    2 TL-5's
    1 Axcelerator 6
    1 T-40
    I am going to keep buying inexpensive Peaveys like these until I can decide if I like them or not. :D
    Wow just noticed the dates of this thread!
  19. Zombie thread!!!! Braaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnssssss!!!!!!!!
  20. Your post below forgot to mention comparing Peavey USA OVERALL to fenders

Fury USA to PBass
    Foundation USA to JBass

Don't tell my Alembic or Factor.. or status that my favorite playing bass is an RJ-IV

So ... back to your bass... what exactly is it like? Any chance you can compare the tone and action?