1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Millennium Plus J/J vs. Peavey Foundation - tone comparison?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I recently bought this Peavey Millennium Plus J/J from a fellow TB'er

IMG_4912_zps8695a4d3.
    IMG_4910_zpsfc4bb645.

I think I'm going to start collecting USA Peaveys because of the excellent build quality and cost/value ratio, but I don't want to double-up on tones. Eventually I want a Millennium Plus 5 and some others.

How similar would my Millennium Plus J/J sound to a Foundation, given that they are both J-ish basses?

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Good question! I had a Mill JJ and Foundation 5 (with the newer VFL-shaped pickups) at the same time, so I was able to A/B them a bit. To me, they don't sound terribly similar. The Mill JJ has stacked humbuckers, IIRC, and has that wonderful Mill preamp, so you get a killer active J-bass vibe, with all the tone shaping you could ask for. The one I had seemed to be a bit on the bright side, tone-wise, with everything flat. I would say it had a Marcus Miller vibe to it.

The Foundation seemed more on the other end of the spectrum- more vintage flavored. I had flats on both basses, although I tried rounds as well, for a short period. No matter what I put on the Foundy, I loved the tone. If you've played a passive J-bass before, it will definitely be familiar territory, although, the tone seemed a bit beefier than other Jazzes I've played. One thing I loved is that the neck pickup soloed could get very, very close to a P-tone, IMO. I listened to some youtube clips of P-basses with flats, and it was right there, to my ear.

To me, it never seemed redundant to have both, although I have since sold them both to help fund another GV, which, to me, is the king of the Peavey hill, at least compared to every other Peavey I've played. I will say this- I miss the Foundation much more than the Mill at this point. Luckily they're cheap and abundant, so I'll probably get another sometime.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    GV? What's that?

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    It's a 5-string G-bass. Basically, it's a graphite-necked, bolt-on Cirrus, as the guts and hardware are all Cirrus stuff. Hard to find, but, man, the tone is awesome! I have my 2nd one coming on Thursday!

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe I'll try to make that one my 2nd Peavey instead of a Mill5+. How much did your's cost?

6. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    My first one was $299, 2nd was $499, both bought from Guitar Centers from their used site. The first one was NOS, with plastic on the control covers and the original batteries. They don't come up often, at all, so when they do, strike early!

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    A Cirrus is something I do want but I don't need the fancy wood if it sounds the same. Thanks for the heads up!

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yes, G-V's are hard to find.

A J/J Mill and a Foundation sound and feel very different. The Foundation has a punchy but subdued tone. Kind of "vintage", like NicJim said. The J/J Mill has a much much wider tonal spectrum, and is brighter and much more aggressive than the Foundation. The neck and body shapes are very different, and the scale length is different - 34" for the Foundy, 35" for the Mill. Foundations are still extremely affordable. Get one, try it out, if you don't like it, sell it.

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    A Cirrus doesn't sound anything like any Millennium. The Cirrus has a sophisticated "hi-fi" tone that is clearly different than the sound you'll get from a Mill.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yup, a Cirrus or GV is definitely something I want to add along with the Mill J/J.

How different would a Mill J/J sound from a Mill M/J? It may seem like an obvious question, but if it's not that different then I'll stick with one Mill.