1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Mini Max Head Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by experimental bassist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    About the cable, I still have to check if XLR should have 2 or 3 conductors to be a proper balanced and shielded cable. (reading up few articles on rane.com). There are so many half-baked experts who present themselves with authority (like I did in previous post) on subjects they might not have enough experience, but also, not knowing they are missing some parts/information. Will get back here with what I've learned.

Edit: ok, the standard is that XLR does not use 3+1 wire configuration but also pin 1 (GND) is not supposed to be connected to connector chassis (I am talking just about the cable, not source/receiver devices).

When using poorly wired cable (Samson brand in my case) ground lift does not work as connector chassis was originally hardwired to pin 1 (on both ends) and still connects the ground, disregarding the "Ground lift" switch state.

I had some noise with ground connected but it gets higher with ground lifted.
    After I've removed the pin1-chassis connection in the cable my noise floor is the same.

Would love to hear an explanation about this: The noise floor is (subtly) at its lowest when I lift the ground but connect the pin1 to any grounding point on the amp ... which brings me back to the conclusion that I should have left the pin1 and connector chassis connected, and with the ground switch in lifted state, it should be quietest.

Edit #2:
    re-soldered pin1-chassis on amp end, noise floor is horrible when I lift the ground BUT if I wiggle the connector in the amp, it becomes low. So I took the alligator clip cable and connected the lock of the XLR (thing you press to unlock and remove the cable) to a grounding point (send/return's inside ring, not the nut that holds it) and It's as low as I managed earlier. Conclusion, cable chassis was not making the right contact to the amp chassis.

I still need to find out why is this happening and how to remedy the problem.

Edit #3

My XLRs are painted black, so no connection to amp was made on chasis side of things. The xlr lock slot is metal on amp but not conmected to ground, there is a small tab on the other side of connector that rubs against inserted connector and that one is grounded (my xlr did not touch that one). I have removed the paint and disconnected the pin 1 from connector chasis. Giving up on this, I do not have extensive hum in my home, so not an environment to further explore the solutions and ideas.

(This is a wrong thread for posts like this)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Im experimenting with these extremes.
    Punch pushed but bass cut with pot, idea is to cut 50hz and remain ok at 100hz.
    Shift pushed and boosted, still not sure if this will interfere with the band.
    Highs to taste. No psycho or drive.

Attached Files:

3. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    Interesting. The Mesa Subway guys have been doing something similar - Deep switch on but then boosting the HPF. A few of them seem to like it.

I'm going to try this soon. Right now my MiniMax is designated for home use while I experiment with the Quilter BB800 so it may take a while.

I find the tone and punch of the amps pretty similar with some EQing - however the MiniMax is a little looser and less focused on the attack vs the tightness and clarity of the Quilter.

Not sure which one I like better. But I do know that both are keepers

4. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you for the comparison to BB800, I would take that or Minimega if I needed more power. (so sad that Bobby is not with Peavey anymore)
    If you do try this twisted eq Ive recorded please be kind to let me know what you heard and maybe some improvements if you get any.
    From what I understand, the tree buttons underneath act soewhat like TeeCee's tricksy EQ that changes freq points when you are boosting or cutting on same pot.

SickAura likes this.
  5. Looks like mini will face the ultimate test on Saturday. 3 gigs 1 day from 5000 plus capacity tent to scummy rock bar. Would normally take the classic 400 for outdoor work but i am not moving that thing three times!! ;) Pics will follow of course. Tonight cable check 1,2.....

6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Keep us informed Mark, Rock on!

Mark Andrew likes this.
  7. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    BTW
    The MiniMax is now shipping today and still is $307.00 @ musiciansfriend

8. Will do. Considering the best cab combinations at the moment. Pub is cramped no PA support festival is huge with fantastic PA and huge stage. Think I will go for the Pro series 410 115 and then split it in half for the pub. For the last gig I may be able to get away using the backline cab ..... All ends of the spectrum in one day... Should be fun :)

Jim C likes this.
  9. First gig down turned out not to be the mainstage so not quite as large as originally thought....500-1000 capacity....mini came through nicely.....fury went banana so had to turn to the old P.

Attached Files:

Esquillama likes this.
  10. Second .....

Attached Files:

Esquillama likes this.
  11. And the third and final set of the day was relocated due to weather so we could stay put in the crusty rock bar. Sensible move and saved another break down and setup. Mini performed well without PA support. Sometimes the simple setups work the best. Great mid presence that made the bass very audible for me and the room. I switched over my Dyna which was a pleasure to play after that heavy old P.... An amp for all occasions ii didn' even have to push it past gain 6 master 3.5 ish all day..

OldFunBass and Esquillama like this.
  12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I picked up a Mini Max used and saved a few $$'s. It arrived today and I am pleased with it. Tone is very good and it is a powerful little thing. Yes, the fan is a bit noisy but you will never hear it while playing. Nice job, Peavey!

13. Alert Alert Mini max bag failure. Does that fall under the guarantee? ..... ;). Sent it to the tailor for a restitch !! My fault for ramming it full of .... well everything....

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  14. Well, you’re not the first one,several people have had the strap attachments break.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  15. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Gave away mine to the missus. But if he is sending it for a restitch than it might be that stitching/thread failed where its most usual to have the plastic parts give up.
    I had an idea about opening two slots on the top side, right where the amp "handles" are and attach a bit sturdier strap directly to them. The bag remains as a protection from dings but the amp is carrying it's own weight.

16. I may have the DI hum problem. has anyone fixed it?

17. Miraculously at Saturday night’s gig, the sound man said mine had no hum.
    I’m not sure if the pre/post button was the key, or the ground lift, but thankfully mine disappeared (at least this time). We’ll see what happens next time.

I’ll need to look up the owner’s manual to figure out what position the buttons are in for pre/post (pushed in = pre? Pushed out = post?) and ground lift. I know the buttons on the front are engaged when in(except the mid shift, which just adjusts the frequency).

I know that’s not a solution, but it appears there may be hope yet.

ToS likes this.
  18. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    make sure you note what position the buttons are now ( ie just after the show)...could be a good reference point for the future

19. Yes, exactly my plan. I haven’t changed anything. I want to check the owner’s manual so I know how the pre/post and ground lift are set. I’ll post later when I’m sure of those settings.

edencab likes this.
  20. Here’s info directly from the manual;
    “DI PRE/POST SELECT SWITCH
    This switch is used to select the DI signal source from either pre or post EQ. Usually, if the DI is used in a live setting to send signal to a PA system, it’s best to use the PRE EQ setting because the DI signal will not be effected by changing any of the amplifier controls, which allows independent EQ adjustments for the PA system. The POST EQ setting is useful for recording, connecting the amplifier to an external power amplifier, or for live use if you run effects processors through the FX LOOP.”

Although they don’t explicitly say,”when the button is out, it’s pre, and when the button is in, it’s post”, but that’s what I believe is true.

In my latest situation, where the hum was NOT present, both the pre/post and ground/lift buttons were out.

I’ll have to wait until our next show on June 2nd to see if these settings remain hum-free.