1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Mini Max Head Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by experimental bassist, Jan 30, 2014.

1. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    wave rider, mbelue and BasturdBlaster like this.
  2. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    Well just like that, the page and pics are off the website, weird:thumbsdown:

3. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    must be thanks to Matty's comment from above ;)

4. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    If it’s anything like the Mega’s announcement, it will be a while before we actually see them.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    or if anything like the Mini Max's original announcement too!

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Who the heck still has a hair dryer? Put some decent stickers on them that peel right off.

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Or no stickers at all.

jeff7bass likes this.
  8. Wierdest cabinet I have played mini through yet.....

Attached Files:

mbelue likes this.
  9. And how did it sound to you?

10. Mmmwah considering these cost around 1200 new I wasn't so impressed. Had to raise it up and that helped....it's very bright and can take allot of power.... And it's not that heavy. There was a lot of feelable low but for some reason very middy to listen to. It was interesting...

b-b-b-bass and mbelue like this.
  11. yeah. I like the idea, but it's kind of complicated with so many drivers and potentially a lot of weight and a lot of troubleshooting if something fails. After experimenting with a few smaller drivers (read: wasting money on blowed up 8's), I am content that 10's are as small as I'll trust to do bass.

12. So I want to add this story
    I use the mini max on a wedding band in-ear monitor gig. Last week I got there early enough to dial in my in-ear sound. I usually dial in through the cab and take whatever comes in the in-ear, but we had a no-stage volume sound check last week. I did the normal thing- plug bass into amp's passive input, and ran my passive CBI brand DI through the effects loop. (I skip the onboard DI anymore- it's not quite quiet).

I set the amp where I usually keep it- all 3 bass/mid/high at one dot left of 12:00. The mid switch engaged, other switches not. So I then popped in my earphones and I found that I was done tweaking. It sounded just like I expected, and required no other tweaking. I was pretty surprised by this because I'm usually finding the bass to sound small and thin in the in-ears. I was actually shocked for that reason. I've used several heads' onboard DI, and never sounded so rich and clean.

Does this sound better because it's preamp->passive transformer?

13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I've played through several PJB cabinets (sadly none of the NEOpower series) and had great experiences with all of them. Those little drivers sounded great to me.
    More than enough bass for my needs.
    The size of a driver doesn't mean anything about is "sound".
    You should try a few more 8" drivers in properly designed cabinets I very there might be a few you would like.

14. I do likes them. I just blows them up!

mbelue likes this.
  15. I had a feeling that the pjb cabinet wasn't even breaking a sweat and think It would take allot to bust one. The usual reasurring movement you can see in most drivers was not visible extremely tight and a sound allot of players will like. The fact the amp was di'd made gauging the true sound difficult. But before thay I did have a little play and there was a lot of middle coming out of it Not for me but cool to try.

16. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Meh, what was fixed?
    DI noise?
    Fan auto-speed?
    Popping on powercycle?
    (Sorry, the tone of my post was acidic)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  17. basically, you don't want to use the DI output...it makes a hum, that's fine buy a Direct box..that's what they're made for anyway...yeah I know the idea is a good one to have it right in your amp but I guess for what ever reason, they just don't seem to work as well as a regular DI box..the fan noise...this amp is a great amp for use in a live scenario and in that space the noise from the fan is nothing...the noise from the fan my drummer has blowing on him is much louder..and that's basically the deal...wanna record...probably can't use the amp in the room if you are recording with a mic...but who does that?...popping on power cycle..? I guess you are talking about turning it on and off...hmm I can only add that when I play a gig, during set breaks, I just hit the tuning button when the set ends and I put my bass down..and go smoke...that's effectively the AB box for me...I turn it on before we play...an hour or so, for sound check etc...and then turn it off after the show is over...So the noise when you powercycle...is negligible ...

craigb and b-b-b-bass like this.
  18. yeah. I swapped a few emails with Peavey support. The guy explained that passive DI boxes use tranformers, and the onboard is an active circuit. That's the main difference. Now we all know that there are active DI's that are quiet, but this one's just not quite quiet. Based on what I'm hearing there's also some signal loss along the way. effects loop is better.

19. Asked a while back if anyone new if mini had a built in HPF? The extra headroom I get from small cabs compared to older amps without HPF made me think it has. However using a HPF pedal with mini made a big difference so now I'm not sure. Any takers ?

20. This; I use the MiniMax with both my Avatar 115 and 112 and always use a Radial Pro passive DI. I use the same DI with my backup Eden WTX264. The fan noise is not noticeable in a live situation, period. The Peavey has proved to be very durable and reliable and I play in mostly outside, exposed, and hot Florida conditions. I would like it to have the firm knob/pots of the Eden, as the chicken head knobs are easily moved during transit in a case (small gator mixing bag works well). All in all, a great little amp and I would change nothing else.