Peavey MiniMega and MiniMax-- Both now shipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    EDIT: Deleted my rant because the new amps are now shipping.
    Both of Peavey Mini's now shipping. I just received my MiniMax today and it's a beast.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    mbelue likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hartke, 106 lbs.
    Hartke VX3500 4x10

Or there's a huge selection of amps around 60 lbs, so it's not such an odd thing. I just don't have any of them :)

As far as the new Peavey amps, yes they do deliver the goods. However I did cancel my order for the MiniMega for now because the delivery date was pushed out over a month. Maybe sometime down the road I'll try again. I'm not sure if the MiniMax is out yet, but I suggest you order now if you want one so you get one as soon as they do come out. Otherwise you'll be like me and miss the initial boat!

3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you for sharing. That Hartke looks like a monster. I'm surprised it doesn't shake apart during performance!

I forgot to give kudos to Peavey for their new line of Max combos. They seem to fill the needs of a lot of musicians from all walks of life. But they suffer from the same condition as all the entry level amps nowadays. Too much MDF-- Compressed Sawdust!

Once Peavey rolls out their new stuff I'll be glad to give them all a try. I am not hating them, I'm just growing impatient over their continous delays over the last three years. Mind you, the MiniMega was announced in 2014.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The first big shipment of Mini Max heads will be arriving any day now.

As far as the "bass department", I am the bass department and have been since 2005. Supporting all those products in addition to designing new ones, and working on the occasional guitar amp, acoustic guitar amp, and pa gear is very time consuming. I also have to do a lot of support work for Trace Elliot.

I'm sure lots of people would think that I'm sitting around day after day, week after week working in frustration trying to get an amp like the Mini Max working. In reality, I work for a week, wait 3 months, work for 2 weeks, wait 2 months, work for a week, wait 4 months, and on and on. During the waiting, I'm working on other things in a staggered fashion, and also, trying to push to get the things I'm waiting for faster. If I change a circuit board, for example, I may not see the new one for 4 months.

WaynerBass, Exolalde, mbelue and 2 others like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I wasn't picking on you--rather I admire you. I like how you communicate with us crazy bass players because you are a bass player yourself. I guess I was just expressing my frustration at the length of time we've all waited for these new products.

I've actually kicked around the Trace line BTW. I remember how nice they were in the 80's to 90's but kind of lost track of them afterwards. I think it's also cool that you created a small combo Vypyr that includes some bass patches including the Trace!

Good luck and peace.

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That would drive me nuts. In my real life, I work in I.T.. If I need a part for something, I need it now. Sometimes by the time I submit it to be ordered it could be 3 weeks before it works it's way up the chain to get ordered. I used to want to punch stuff, but now I just chill and wait :)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Mini Max has landed.

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I ordered my mM1000 on Monday, from an authorized dealer on eBay. Got it yesterday (i.e. 2 days later). And it was under $500, shipped.

mbelue likes this.
  9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They don't over 36 month financing though, which is the main reason I wanted to try one. I got an Ampeg PF-800 instead :)

Plus I would never buy from somewhere without a good proven return policy.

That being said, $475 is an awesome price! I figure if I don't like the Ampeg for some reason, I will have no problem selling it or trading it for a MiniMega.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    As for the MiniMAX, well, just me, I would always spend an extra $150 for the mM1000 instead. The extra power plus the ton (pun intended :)) of extra features make it totally worth an extra $150, to me.

11. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Yeah but if you got such a great deal on th mm1k don't you think you can get similar on the mm500?

12. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    The preamp appears the same but my understanding was the poweramp is tweaked, like half the miniMega,right @BbbyBld.

13. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    That is correct.

14. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Maybe. Even $200 more would be a no-brainer (to ME, of course) for the 1K. Of course, if you need an amp right now, and you can do $300 and you just can't do $500, then I would understand getting the Max. Sort of. More likely, I would spend the $300 on a used amp that I could flip for $300(-ish) later. Then work on saving the $200. Then flip the used amp and spend the total on the 1K. But, that's just me.

15. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Interesting. I see the it positioned more as the GK mb200 or Ampeg pf350 killer. Fighting for your "backup micro amp" dollar.

16. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Woot woot!

17. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yeah, I realize not everyone prioritzes the way I do. If I were shopping for a "main" amp, I'd go for the 1K. If I were shopping for a backup, I'd want it to be just as capable as my main, in case I actually have to use it. So, again I'd spend the $150 - 200 extra for the 1K.

If I had 2 fully capable amps and was shopping for yet another that was going to be for something like practice, small gigs, etc., then maybe I'd be looking at the less expensive/capable amps. But, at that point, I would probably look to spend my $300 - 350 on something used that gave me more bang for my buck. My enthusiasm for the 1K is a lot to do with how capable it is and how cheap it is. $500 for a quality amp just isn't much money (on the scale of prices for amps). I would pay that for a new one because I don't really know of anything comparable that I could get, even used, that would really save me any significant money. Once the 1Ks are really out there on the used market, it will be really hard (in my mind) to justify buying anything else (unless you want a tone that the 1K can't give you, of course - that's the ultimate arbiter of any amp purchase).

18. I'm in the UK & got my Minimax 500 (£279 gbp..the Mini Mega 1000 is £603!!) on Wednesday & unboxed it at that nights practice..

I won't get a chance to play loud again until Sunday morning but at low volume & practice,this is what I have so far. I will copy some bits from the manual for clarity. The amp is small & compact but has a good weight to it, by that I mean it feels sturdy & won't move off the cab when playing. It feels very well built. The controls are simple to look at & simple to use. The Gain has a button underneath TT BOOST SWITCH This TransTube® crunch circuit is designed so that the volume of the amp will not change when the boost is switched on, but the distortion level will increase depending on the level of the GAIN knob. For best results, first set the distortion amount by adjusting the GAIN. Next, set the desired volume using the VOLUME knob. At this point, the clean volume will match if the TT BOOST is turned off. .Bass-Punch=This switch engages a boost of 6dB at 100Hz, which greatly enhances the low-end presence of the bass guitar..Middle-Mid Shift=This switch controls the center frequency of the MIDDLE knob. When the switch is OUT, the middle frequency is 600Hz. The middle frequency is 250Hz when the switch is pushed IN. Treble-Bright=This button provides a 10 dB boost to frequencies above 1KHz. To activate, depress the switch to its “IN” position. PSYCHO-ACOUSTICS EFFECT SWITCH The human ear does not hear low frequencies as well as higher frequencies. This means that as bass goes lower, more and more power is required. The MAX® Psycho-Acoustics effect solves this problem by identifying extremely low notes, generating harmonics based on the notes, and then blending the harmonics with the original note, making the lows seem louder and tighter without eating up excess power amp headroom.

In my first practice this amp was easy to get up & running, I didn't want to keep the other guys waiting around while I got 'my sound' I just did it on the fly..moved the dials around, hit the strings. I adjusted the gain & TT boost found it easy to get a bit of warm grit..you can get full fuzz with the button pressed & gain full on. I was using a Spector Legend Custom & Markbass 2x10 cab against 2 guitarists & a drummer,playing fingerstyle heavy rock. This amp didn't need to go over 3 on master volume putting out a really nice full sound. The guys were pretty impressed. It was good to have the tuner which is operable by using the mute button. I'll be happy gigging with this head. I'll have my Eden WTDI in case the worst was to happen. I really like having the aux in & headphones,I've been using a small practice head but it's nice to use the gigging head. I would add that the carry bag that comes with it is only good as a case liner or for cables.

I'll keep playing & post more comments as they crop up..so far so good!

BCS66, mech and BasturdBlaster like this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    DerekW, KPJ and dieseldalziel like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021