Peavey miniMega overheating? Need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slakmk12, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Hi folks and thx for reading this. I purchased an open box, mint condition miniMega 1000w amp for use with my PVH 210 cabinet. After a minute or so after turning the amp on the fan kicks on (at different speeds sometimes) and speaker outputs shut off so no sound coming through. Headphone jack still works but at lower volume. I read that these heads have issues with overheating and I'm hoping there is something I can do to fix it myself. Peavey isn't taking returns/repairs at the moment and can't find anyone local to look at it. Any help is much appreciate, thx.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

What part of the world do you reside in. Filling in your profile fully helps us to help you.

How much electronics servicing have you done and what test equipment do you own?

What is the impedance of your speaker cabinet and has it been messed with?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    First, the assumption of overheating may very well be incorrect. A QUALIFIED tech will correctly diagnose the cause of the fault before assuming the source of the problem. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to successfully and economically repair an incorrectly diagnosed (or guessed, or assumed) cause.

BassmanPaul and jeff7bass like this.
  4. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ

Thank you BassmanPaul, I updated my profile. I do not have much servicing experience but I own a multimeter and know how to use it. Amp is 4ohms, speaker cab is 8 ohms and in new condition. Working well with my backup Bugera 5500 amp. Not hearing back from Peavey with phone call messages or emails so looking like I'm on my own. One guy told me it may be a protection circuit not working or maybe a short somewhere but that's all I have to go with so far.

5. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ

Thank you agedhorse, I haven't been able to speak with a qualified technician although I have left multiple messages at Peavey. I've asked questions here given the info I have because I want to get my amp running somehow and have no one near me that works on them.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Since there aren't any external protection circuits, I wouldn't put much faith in what "one guy" told you.

Here are a few local service centers that will be able to help you:

TRIPLE S. INC.
    299 BROAD ST
    BLOOMFIELD, NJ 07003 US
    (973) 748-4025
    [email protected]
    WWW.TRIPLESSERVICE.COM

ELECTRONICS CITY CORPORATION
    4311 BERGENLINE AVE
    UNION CITY, NJ 07087 US
    (201) 866-5033
    [email protected]SCITY.COM

EARS EXPERT AUDIO REPAIR SERVICE
    145 W 28TH ST 6TH FLOOR
    NEW YORK, NY 10001-6114 US
    (212) 868-4357
    [email protected]

DBM PRO AUDIO MUSIC SERVICE INC.
    320 W 37TH ST
    NEW YORK, NY 10018-4296 US
    (212) 629-0326

AMP & GUITAR WELLNESS CENTER
    1700 10TH AVENUE
    BROOKLYN, NY 11215 US
    (718) 369-7080
    [email protected]

DAVE'S SOUND REPAIR
    622 STATE ROUTE 10
    WHIPPANY, NJ 07981-1542 US
    (973) 386-5840

AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER INT'L
    11305 QUEENS BLVD
    FOREST HILLS, NY 11375-5555 US
    (718) 544-9584
    [email protected]

TECHNI-SERVE INDUSTRIES
    80 GREENWOOD AVENUE STE 3
    MIDLAND PARK, NJ 07432 US
    (201) 670-1767
    [email protected]
    WWW.TSIREPAIR.COM

CENTRAL JERSEY MUSIC SERVICE
    1627 STATE ROUTE 27
    EDISON, NJ 08817-3475 US
    (732) 572-1911
    [email protected]

SG CUSTOM SOUND
    40-33 235TH STREET
    DOUGLASTON, NY 11363 US
    (718) 224-5083
    [email protected]

SAM ASH MUSIC CORP.
    401 OLD COUNTRY ROAD
    CARLE PLACE, NY 11514 US
    (516) 333-8700

MICRI ELECTRONIC REPAIR
    218 A EAST MEADOW AVE
    EAST MEADOW, NY 11554 US
    (516) 794-0260
    [email protected]

DAVIDSON ELECTRONICS
    117 NEWTOWN RD
    PLAINVIEW, NY 11803-4318 US
    (516) 753-0197
    [email protected]
    WWW.DAVIDSONELECTRONICS.COM

SANTORELLI PROF ELECT.
    102 PARK AVE
    BAY SHORE, NY 11706-7344 US
    (631) 665-4058
    [email protected]

PHOENIX AUDIO SERVICE
    908 COTTMAN AVE
    PHILADELPHIA, PA 19111 US
    (215) 722-4255
    [email protected]

JIM WALTON
    547 LEVICK ST
    PHILADELPHIA, PA 19111 US
    (215) 342-7327
    [email protected]

DANNY'S AMPSERVICE INC.
    5817 ROOSEVELT AVE
    PENNSAUKEN, NJ 08109 US
    (856) 662-2979

MIZUR AMPLIFICATION COMPANY LLC
    234 CHERRY STREET
    SLATINGTON, PA 18080 US
    (610) 751-4283
    [email protected]

MARC INC OF NY
    10 RAYBROOK DRIVE
    WOODSTOCK, NY 12498-2105 US
    (845) 679-4274
    [email protected]

SHORELINE ELECTRONICS & SOUND
    344 EAST MAIN STREET
    CLINTON, CT 06413 US
    (860) 399-1861
    [email protected]

SCOTT GRAHAM DBA DEVON SOUND
    760 RANCK ROAD
    MORGANTOWN, PA 19543-9551 US
    (610) 286-0205
    [email protected]

SHORELINE ELECTRONICS & SOUND
    125 BEECHTREE LANE
    WESTBROOK, CT 06498 US
    (860) 399-1861
    [email protected]

kobass, Slakmk12, JGbassman and 2 others like this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Well if a 8ohm 210 makes a 1000 watt amp overheat. It's garbage.

Also unlikely.
    Probably another problem with the amp

If another amp is running the speaker cab just fine without issue. Assume it's not a cab issue

Another issue which we see often is a speaker cable issue.
    Is it the same cable your testing both amps with.

Speakon connections love these problems.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Just for interest measure the DC resistance of your speaker cabinet. Did you buy the cabinet new or used. Trying to ascertain if the cabinet could have been rewired to 2Ω to get every last watt out of an amp.

agedhorse likes this.
  9. I own one of the same. When I had a problem, I sent it to Peavey it was serviced and sent back within a couple of weeks and it was not expensive. IIRC it was about $60-$70. I can tell you they were, and possibly still are, working with somewhat of a skeleton crew for the last few months. When you get ahold Of them they’re just going to tell you to pack it up and send it in. I would suggest using the box it came in since you’re not gonna find anything better or smaller. It’s on your dime going there. I have used a MM1000 a lot, in the last couple of years. Although I used Agedhorses’ Genz SM12 this afternoon. They can’t fix it on the phone. When you box it up include, your name and address and phone#, a description of the issue, the serial#, best time to call. They’ve been good to me and this is the first piece of Peavey gear I’ve owned since the 80’s. For me, having an amp failure isn’t the end of the world. But the company’s response and resolution of the problem has made a fan of both the amp and them again. I think this a pretty darn good sounding amp that packs a wollop!

HearNoStevil likes this.
  10. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    Peavey is running extremely short-staffed right now with several people working from home. They are running behind on literally thousands of emails and trying to get caught up. You must be patient with the pandemic as Peavey was shut down for months and are just starting to get back up rolling. I believe their repair service is actually down to only two techs. You might have better luck taking it to a service center; agedhorse gave you quite a list to choose from.

I have two Minimega heads, I run them hard (sometimes into constant DDT compression) and they don't break a sweat into 4 ohms. I run them hard like an old Peavey. That's actually why I chose Peavey when I went Class D, because I used to run my old Mark III head into constant DDT power amp compression and actually preferred the sound it made that way. It never shut down or gave me one problem in the last 42 years and it has required no service since new.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    My advice..since you just bought it...return it for a refund. You shouldn't have to repair an amp you just bought, and there's not really any repairs you can do on those amps yourself.

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    When it shuts down is the fan still running? I had a similar issue with my MiniMega.

13. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ

14. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks, definitely an amp problem. Fan starts up and runs unevenly with or without cables plugged in. I'm using brand new Speakon cables but tried 3' patch cord (which works with my backup amp Bugera 5500).

15. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks, I'll check it. Bought it from friend who bought 2 new and never used this one it so I know the wiring is factory.

16. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks Kirk. I did speak with a secretary about a month ago and she confirmed they were very short handed and not accepting mail-ins for repairs at that time. She then forwarded me over to Roger who is a tech guy there so I left a message but I haven't heard back yet. Hoping he will tell me to send it in.

Still the box and all contents....mint condition other than this issue. I bought it from a music store online and by the time I started using it it was too late to return.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  17. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks, I'll have to call again to see if they can squeeze me in yet. I'm a big Peavey fan and play small/medium size venues so this amp with my PVH 210 should be perfect. It's driving me nuts that I can't use it!

18. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks. Can't return because I waited too long to use it enough for this problem to arise. I plugged it in real quick when I bought it, heard sound come out, then shut it off. Last couple months I've only used headphones and that port is fine, I just thought the fan thing was normal. When I recently plugged in the cab I realized that when the fan comes on the cab outputs shut off and it's too late to return.

19. Slakmk12

Slakmk12

Aug 12, 2020
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Thanks and no, the fan shuts off a second or 2 after power is turned off. When it's running the fan is unsteady, not one smooth speed. What happened with yours?

20. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    Again, at this point in time, you are going to have better luck going through an authorized service center. Peavey is backed-up and short-staffed like you would not believe due to the pandemic.

I know several people there, and I am giving you the best advice I can give. Please check with one of the service centers listed on this thread.

Slakmk12 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021