1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Minx replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Nov 3, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi TB. I've own a little Peavey Minx since the late 80's and it's served me well for small gigs and low volume rehearsals.

As of late, I'm noticing that the speaker is sounding not so well anymore. Given that it's 25+ years old can you blame it lol.

I took the amp out and tried it with a 410 cab and it sounds great. Gets pretty loud for a little guy. Sounds clear as the day I bought it new.

I'm looking at three replacement speakers. They are:

Eminence Alpha 10A $54.99
    http://usspeaker.com/ALPHA10-1.htm

Eminence Bass Lite S2010 $99.99
    http://usspeaker.com/bass lite-s2010-1.htm

and the Peavey Peavey Sheffield TVX 1035-8 $95.99
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Shef...248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1e8564e8

Although the amp is used less and less, I've kept it for so long and it's been a faithful useful amp, I want to give it a good speaker. I'm a little partial to the Bass Lite due to the lighter weight, but I also like the Peavey Sheffield. Some of you might just suggest getting the Alpha 10A and save myself some money, the amp will sound great and it isn't that much heavier than the Bass Lite. See I'm confusing myself......

Many of you out there really know your speakers and performance. To be shamefully honest, I'm not really sure which of these would perform optimum with the Minx. Such a small issue but I would really appreciate your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. I have the Minx, but discarded the box and kept the guts.
    If the S2010 will physically fit, it is a perfect match for this box.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have two Minx, one is the era after yours with two corner triangle ports, and the other is generation after that, with the all black face ... the all black face version uses the Sheffield, but that is a sealed cabinet ... mine have held up fine, so no need to replace anything for what I use them for, but just wanted to point out that the sealed version uses the Sheffield ....

4. IIRC, the vented Minx box is almost exactly 1.0 cubic feet net volume.
    The S2010 happens to be very happy in this volume.
    Link to S2010 Chart

I suggest you try speakerhardware.com for your S2010.
    This is a shameless plug for my friend, Leland, but he is an upstanding business man in every aspect.

5. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I have the S2010 in an Ampeg BA-110 right now. Sounds great, can handle everything that the amp sends to it, and saves a couple of pounds.

6. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys the "little guys," BA-110 included Woodstockz :D

I'm thinking as a one time investment, and given that the more recent sealed cabinet Minxes use Sheffields, I'm leaning towards the S2010's.

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks hope to hear more..

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    And I'll go to speakerhardware.com too :)

8. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The Eminence Legend 1058 is a great replacement speaker for the later model Minx. I'm not sure if yours should be 4 or 8 ohm. The later model was 8 ohms.

9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi BbbyBld. Mine is an 8ohm version.

However, when I went to a couple online vendors, they clearly labelled the speaker a "guitar speaker." I did find an Eminence Legend BP 102-8.

10. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    My mistake. They currently make a 32 ohm legend speaker for 810 replacement. I think they made an 8 ohm version of that at one time, and maybe they still do. That's the one I was thinking of.