Peavey Minx110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by telemike, Jul 29, 2003.

1. 12Toes

12Toes

Apr 19, 2001
    Lexington, KY
    I've got a minx. Not the red face but the generation before. They can be had for much less then $225 on ebay. Mine was $125.00. I got it and it was in perfect condition. You know the the best used ebay description goes something like this: "bought this because my son/daughter wanted a bass. He/She played it for about a week and lost interest. My loss/your gain...." That sums up my purchase. Can't imagine $125 of purchase sounding any better. I use it for practice only. I run my bass through a Peavey Max preamp and into the Minx (paid $150 for the Max on ebay). The boutique players freak that my practice tone set me back $275. But $225 sounds good for new, but to me I'd look to ebay. These things show up all the time.

If the house burned, I'd get the same thing for an at home practice rig.

2. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    The SWR LA manual says you can use the

TUNER OUT-> effects -> CD IN

for an effect loop.

I have to work on convincing the wife to buy one........:help:

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    One thing to consider about the Minx, is that the new models (last few years, red face) will drive 50w into a 4 ohm load, while the older models would only drive 35w into an 8 ohm load.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I guess that would work! Just wondering.....don't you get the same deal by plugging directly into the effects unit then to the amps input? Is it just another option? I've been playing 30 years and I've used a chorus and compressor pedals and just went direct into the amps input from the pedals. Just wondering. I do see the use for line ins and outs though!

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why do you want an effects loop? Very few effects sound better (and most sound worse) when placed in the loop.

Alex

6. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    This is whyI want an effects loop:

SO I can play my telecaster thru my roland cube-15 guitar amp, taking the headphone/recording out from the cube-15 into the effects return/power amp in of a bass amp. The Cube-15 will serve as a preamp for my electric guitar and I can still use the bass amp for my bass.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Why???

8. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    Well, went to Guitar Center this weekend. I tried the LA12 and compared to a Fender Frontman60b....the LA12 seemed more like 30 watts instead of 60. The Fender Frontman sounded good. It seems that the frontman series is being replaced by the Rumble series.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Man, you're the second person I've heard who's said this! I have a Pignose HOG30 30 watt practice amp, A Peavey Microbass 20 watt amp and the SWR LA-12 amp and there is a huge difference in sound and power! I've played my SWR in full rehearsals and was heard with no problem and even the cats in the band commented on the loudness of that little thing! I don't know, I think some cats are expecting something way louder than what 60 watts actually is. And I have a lot of experience playing all sorts and brands of practice amps from 20watts to 100watts. What the 60watts will get you is definition for your lower strings. I don't know, maybe they're throwing 8ohm speakers in some models hence lower volume and sound! In any case, my amp works great for me and I have plenty of volume, punch and definition for my practicing and rehearsals.

10. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    i have the old gen minx and i have had it for about 4 or 5 years now. never had any probs with it...bought it new for about 175 i think. no it doesnt carry the low end very well...no its not loud enough to do gigs with..but that is what my full rig is for. i like the way it sounds with my takamine g series acoustic...and its all i use to practice on at home. suits me fine. like i said before...never had a problem and built like a tank...as someone stated before...is an understatement. i cant count how many times i have dropped the thing and it still sounds like it did the day i bought it.

11. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    In comparing the LA12 to the Fender Frontman60B (soon to replaced by the Rumble60, sam e amp different clothes).........

The Fender had more low end (bigger cabinet) and seemed louder. The LA12 sounded fine, and I wouldn't mind having one, jsut that the Fender amp was better IMO.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, probably different amp design. It's cool. Looks like the Fender has a ported cab which helps in projection. Plus it has what you need as far as effect loop, direct/line out. What is the Fender going for? That's what was key for me. The SWR was on sale and it was way lighter and easier to carry. Of course it doesn't have the added goodies which probably contributes to the lower price.

Peace

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What I personally didn't like about the SWR LA12 that I played was that the high end was very harsh when I played in the higher registers and no amount of knob tweaking could seem to help it. Just didn't sound good to my ears. The bass I was playing through sounded fine through other SWR products. I wasn't too impressed with the girth of the low end either. That's just my opinion and take from my experience. For much less money I got, what I considered, much better tone. My experience with the LA8 and 15 were almost identical to that of the 12.

brad cook

14. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    I can get the Frontman60B for $200, which is what the LA12 is going for at musicians friend.

The LA series is being discontinued now that Fender owns them. Fender is goingto keep SWR a premium brand of amps. The new Fender Rumble series takes care of the lower end. The Frontman series will be (hopefully soon) be blown out at low prices.

15. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    Looking at the LA12 again, it looks like it would work well for acoustic-electric guitars too with the tweeter...hmmm

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You want a bass amp that sounds awesome with both basses and acoustic guitars? Try the SWR California Blonde (NOT the Strawberry Blonde). Man I've never played an acoustic guitar through a better sounding combo amp. Big, warm and chunky. Very nice sound and sounds good with bass too. You're talking about some real money now though...probably between 700 and 800 bucks if I remember correctly.

brad cook

17. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    I'll be lucky if my wife will let me spend any money! :bawl:

IF I can get a bass amp that I can play the following thru I might be able to buy one:

1. My Bass
    2. My electric guitar (using a Roland Cube-15 for a preamp)
    3. My wife's acoustic guitar

:bassist: