1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey MKVI Bass Amp Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cbt, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cbt

cbt

Mar 27, 2009
    saw a Peavey MKVI Bass Amp Head at a pawnshop 402series i think for 120.00 - good - bad - ideas

been wanting some different gear, can any one maybe give some input on this amp, looking for another amp

currently using a crate bx100 and pretty happy with it for the most part and with a yamaha bbn411

also wanting a fretless, for some reason its calling to me

thanks

cheers

2. I think that is a decent price as these are great sounding amps

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I agree - I had a couple of them, and they were pretty good - plenty of power for their rating, and sounded good, too... In fact, one of them is still pulling duty as part of the house rig at a local venue...

- georgestrings

4. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I have one, paid what they are asking, fine amp. Plenty of power, DDT compression, preamp out/power amp in (that disconnects the preamp section if you want to run another), runs @ 2 ohms. Bulletproof, what else could you want? Chorus, yeah it has that too. :cool:

5. cbt

cbt

Mar 27, 2009
    how would you compare it to a Acoustic 200 maybe

would you do this one (peavey), or the new one

thanks

6. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    the new acoustics are cool. kinda grindy and old school...these old peavey tops are the way to go for gobs of clean, fat and most importantly WARM! generous power. it seems this quality has eluded us in new modern bass amp development. i've had 2 each of the new model as well as older mk VI and VIII tops in about 25 years of playing. i was young and i kept buying and selling just because it didn't say the "A" word or whatever else on its front panel...how foolish of me. i wish i had them all back...i recently grabbed and old MK III from a local store for hundo +tax, just cuz it was there...rated at an EXTREMELY GENEROUS 150w. @4ohms, i paired it up with my 4 ohm eminence 1x15 neo and volume at 12 o'clock, i'm rattling windows! this is no joke, if you find one, buy it! you'll have it forever!

7. hdbassman2000

hdbassman2000

Feb 28, 2009
    for the record, i run a MK VI on my marshall silver jubilee 2x15...i set graphic and shelving controls flatline and run my sansamp bass driver on it. then i just do subtle tweeks with the shelving knobs when needed...this is a crusher no doubt!

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

My band's backup head is a Peavey Mk IV, so similar I think. Loud, good sounding, and really durable.

Definitely recommend it.

9. The durability is lengendary...

I've used them for running monitors etc.. you can always find a good use for them.

10. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    What everyone else says plus it runs 2 ohms no sweat. Still hanging onto mine...

=wr=