1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PEAVEY model 4-BFW bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottCampbell, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Whenever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ScottCampbell

ScottCampbell

Jul 5, 2017
    DETROIT
    IMG_5966.JPG

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Did you try emailing or calling Peavey Customer Service for the required information?

3. ScottCampbell

ScottCampbell

Jul 5, 2017
    DETROIT
    Did you try emailing or calling Peavey Customer Service?
    NOT YET. i BOUGHT IT AND COULD TAKE IT APART! IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT PHONE BOOTHE FOR PEOPLE UNDER 4 FEET TALL!

4. They had Cerwin Vega 18s in them and were rated for 300 watts . I used one just like this with my 73 SVT head 5 nights a week for 9 months at house band gig , took all the power easy . Surprisingly good mids too . This was in 1974/75 . I also had a pair of the half size cabs with the same speaker . Never could make them fart out .

5. ScottCampbell

ScottCampbell

Jul 5, 2017
    DETROIT
    THANKS!!!

6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    in the 70's as mentioned above, there were a few companies who used the 18" very high powered speakers with folded horn cabinets. These cabinets were large and complex internally, but very loud and were known to throw the bass signal a long way. The bass sound didn't even develop fully until about 20 feet out and by the time you hit the back wall it was like a large wave of sound.

I used one in the 70's, it took two people to move it. It was the Ampeg V4B folded horn cab, and I loved it. But I was also in my early 20's and so were my band mates, and we didn't mind moving it. There were two Cerwin Vega models, full sized like yours and as mentioned, the half sized versions. I never owned the Peavey version but heard it a couple times playing and visiting clubs in Seattle, and it was truly a beast with the Black Widow 18.

If you're young and have a band this cab would be an awesome rig for playing in a loud bar band. You could fill the room with big round bottom and plenty of volume. As also mentioned, they were indestructible. It took a TON of power to blow them and we never heard of anyone blowing them. If I were you I would restore that thing and be the King of the Roost in your city for bottom end! Great score! :thumbsup:

7. ScottCampbell

ScottCampbell

Jul 5, 2017
    DETROIT
    Thanks for the info! I'm actually old, partly crippled, and play guitar and keys in my band. It's just that it was a great deal and I have a club I'm hoping to open. It would have a great PA but NO disco!
    LovingTouch7-17.

8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Do the bass players a favor. Put that cab in as the house bass cab for your club. You will always have happy bass players. It was designed to supercharge the bass bottom end and you will have that day in and day out. Does it still have a speaker in the cab? Also, the only other change you might want to make is to swap out the 1/4" speaker cable plug to a Speakon connection for higher powered modern amps.

ScottCampbell likes this.
  9. ScottCampbell

ScottCampbell

Jul 5, 2017
    DETROIT
    Thanks! I'll consider it. It's totally stock with the original speaker. If I modify anything, I will hardwire a cable straight to the speaker terminals and banana plugs and adaptors for other plugs. I could even "fly" it and place it 8 feet stage right to give the low notes a chance to "breathe"!