Peavey Nitro bass and 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Jun 9, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm thinking of getting this rig brand new for $800 bucks plus tax. What do you guys think? Good bang for buck?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you have the $$$, I would try to step up to a FirebassII head. I'm assuming that you're going to match up your new amp with a Peavey 410TVX. I really like the sound of the Peavey 410TVX (and TXF), but they are not the most efficient cabs around, so I think you'll like the extra bit of headroom the Firebass will have to offer. (Especially if you get an 8ohm 410! - I would recommend the 4ohm because ultimately, the Peavey Nitrobass and Firebass can handle a 2ohm load if you decide to add a 2nd 4ohm cab later.)

If you can't afford the Firebass, I think the Nitrobass will sound fine, but you just won't be able to push it as hard. (Watch that DDT indicator light ;) ).

3. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Yes I would be using the tvx with my rig. I was wondering if you might know how much of a step up in price the Firebass would be from the Nitro? thanks.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A few members on this board have posted that they bought a Firebass for less than $500. The best price that I have run across (with no intention of buying at the time) is $525. I'm sure buying a 410 cab at the same time will help you negotiate a good price :) .

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I believe the firebass lists at $699, but you'll probably pay like $500-575. The Preamp in the Fire and Nitro is the same though, so they sound the same, the firebass is just louder. Unless you are playing a stadium tour though, the nitro is probably loud enough, I NEVER push my firebass past 6 or everyone in the crowd would be deaf.
    I've found the volume depends also alot on your bass My 18v Cirrus is easily 4 times as loud as my passive Ibanez, going through my setup with all the controls set the same.
    Either choice is a great setup.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I payed around $450 for mine.