Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Nitro bass and 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman60, Jun 9, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    I'm thinking of getting this rig brand new for $800 bucks plus tax. What do you guys think? Good bang for buck?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you have the $$$, I would try to step up to a FirebassII head. I'm assuming that you're going to match up your new amp with a Peavey 410TVX. I really like the sound of the Peavey 410TVX (and TXF), but they are not the most efficient cabs around, so I think you'll like the extra bit of headroom the Firebass will have to offer. (Especially if you get an 8ohm 410! - I would recommend the 4ohm because ultimately, the Peavey Nitrobass and Firebass can handle a 2ohm load if you decide to add a 2nd 4ohm cab later.)

If you can't afford the Firebass, I think the Nitrobass will sound fine, but you just won't be able to push it as hard. (Watch that DDT indicator light ;) ).

3. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Yes I would be using the tvx with my rig. I was wondering if you might know how much of a step up in price the Firebass would be from the Nitro? thanks.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A few members on this board have posted that they bought a Firebass for less than $500. The best price that I have run across (with no intention of buying at the time) is $525. I'm sure buying a 410 cab at the same time will help you negotiate a good price :) .

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I believe the firebass lists at $699, but you'll probably pay like $500-575. The Preamp in the Fire and Nitro is the same though, so they sound the same, the firebass is just louder. Unless you are playing a stadium tour though, the nitro is probably loud enough, I NEVER push my firebass past 6 or everyone in the crowd would be deaf.
    I've found the volume depends also alot on your bass My 18v Cirrus is easily 4 times as loud as my passive Ibanez, going through my setup with all the controls set the same.
    Either choice is a great setup.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I payed around $450 for mine.