Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey (older Super Ferrite) Foundation pup balancing- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Oct 29, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I went back to an old favorite bass I found in a pawn shop last week. It's a 1991 Peavey Foundation. I had one almost 15 years ago, love the slim neck and the sound, but I sold it for an instrument that turned out not to measure up soundwise. Anyhow, The soloed neck pup is warm, round and bouncy/punchy, and the soloed bridge is warm, growly and cuts with punch, esp when played over the bridge. The etronics are passive V/V/T, and the tone knob's effect is very subtle.

My only gripe (and it ain't a big gripe, as I love the first two tones and can get pretty much what I want with the bass as it is) is that the any blending of the two pups results in an unpleasant scooped out tone with few mids, or a twangy sound with greatly reduced volume. There are only one or two spots in the entire blend range that sound good. Having read the review here on the Super Ferrite pups, I see that this might be par for the course, but I'm looking for suggestions that would give me a smoother and more useful range of blended tones. Any suggestions about tone caps, pots, wiring?

Failing that, are there any aftermarket pups that will fit the Foundation bezels? The routs are deeeeeep, BTW.

Note: When I had my first Foundation, I wasn't anywhere near as aware of how and when to use various tones, but I don't remember hearing this blend issue.

2. Sounds like you've got your polarities mixed up. Double check your wiring, you should just need to swap the wires around on one of your volumes and that'll have it peachy.

By subtle do you mean like you can barely tell at all? Cause I rewired a bass of mine ages ago and now I'm pretty darn sure my tone doesn't work, and I think its because I toasted the cap. Not real sure, I'm gonna pull everything out over summer anyway so I'll check then but I'd like to know. Is it easy to burn caps?

Josh D

3. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, I pulled the etronics, and the wiring looks okay- that is, the red wire and the (bare) ground wire from each pup are both connected to the outer casing of their respective vol pots, and the black wire from each pup is connected to the center lug of its pot. In other words, both pups are wired identically, colorwise.

Are you saying that I should reverse the wiring on one pup, (even tho they appear uniform as it is now) by grounding the black wire with the bare wire to the pot casing, and soldering the red to the center lug? I'll give that a try- thanks.

No, I can tell the pot definitely works- it's just not a night and day sort of difference. I can't give you any info on how difficult it is to burn caps. Wish I could help.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

at the beginning on the first page of those reviews you'll see those pups were ran stereo out two seperate jacks into two seperate amp channels, and that's why they behaved as such. They should be ran connected and in phase. Since I don't run pups that way, I sold them.

Swapping hot and ground leads on either pup should correct the problem cuase it sounds like they're out of phase.

5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks. I read the review, but apparently didn't get the point. I'll do the switch.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

When I actually ran them I didn't know what was going on, just knew it was something weird. After some feedback and reading some Foundation reviews on HC I figured it must have been somethng along those lines. But they were pretty decent pups. The other reason I sold them is they have that severe radius and didn't jibe with radius on my necks. Othewise, I'd probably have kept them.