Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey or Ampeg 2x15's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluerskiesburnt, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Right so I've recently decided I wanted an upgrade and a different sound. I currently have a hartke vx410 and was offered to trade it for a Peavey 2x15. But I also have been extended the offer for an Ampeg 2x15 for $350.

What's your opinion? What do you think I should do

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have zero experience with the ampeg

if the peavey is the model with black widows and is really deep (not the shallow one which was maybe 13" deep, but more like 16-18" or so), then it's a cool cabinet, if a bit big. i gigged with one for a long time.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also gigged with the Peavey IvanMike is talking about. I've heard a couple Ampegs 215's too. To me, the Ampeg's had this hollow feeling the Peavey's did not. It just felt like the Peavey was...um....fuller, thicker, bigger. It had this prescence the Ampeg did not. The Ampeg cab was still great though.

-Mike

4. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Another vote for Peavey. I don't know the model number, but I had the deeper cabinet, but pretty much by accident - I didn't know they made two different cabinets back when I bought it. Two BW's are great!

I used a 2x15 for a few years. If someone (my wife) held a gun to my head and made me choose one cab and one cab only for the rest of my "career," it would be a 2x15.

5. well looking into the offers more deeply the peavey is the shallow version and one of the speakers is blown. THe ampeg has the normal gigging wear and tear. So i think im gonna go with the Ampeg. Thanks for the help though guys. I appreciated it alot!

6. do peavey still make 215's ?

7. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i would deffinately go for the ampeg!
    i have a peavey 2 15 sittin here that i used to gig with (only because i didnt have access to a decent cabinet at the time)
    imho the ampeg will be a lot better quality sounding cabinet... but that all depends what you like, i could have had a bad cabinet or something but i bought it new about 15 years ago and to me when i hear it now it sounds like somebody took a cr*p in a tuba and are attempting to play it... (sorry for the bad visual)
    i have nothing against peavey so not trying to bash them

if you pass on the ampeg for keeping you could always snag it and resell it for a lot more than the 350 they are asking for it!!!

lowendgod