Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey or avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 25, 2004.

1. peavey

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. avatar

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  1. has any body compared these cabs together or atleast tried them?

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've owned several Peavey combos and own an Avatar 4x10....you won't go wrong with either company. value and quality are both rock solid. I vote for both! :cool:

3. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Since i live in the UK and there is no chance of finding Avatar over here i have to say Peavey. I would a 4x10 and have to say it is damn loud and a solid workhorse

4. people talk i need to know which one is better

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    don't know which is better...I know which I bought and that is Avatar. I sold a Hartke TP 410and bought an Avatar 212...AWESOME...warm, rich, deep, yet punchy...yet I still wanted the punch I had with the Hartke so I bought the Avatar 410...I just got it the other day so not a lot of time with it...but just plugging in for about twenty minute...holy moses!!! I have a Hrtke 4000 (400 watss @ 4 ohms) and an Ibanez BTB 510, just FYI. It has the punch and plenty o volume to!

6. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Like everything, it depends.

I have had both and I am liking my Avatars better. Part of what I like is the sound/size/weight balance of the Avatars. A Peavey 410 is one heavy mofo; even heavier is the Peavey 412. The 412 is one GREAT sounding cabinet (IMO it blows the doors of their 410.) But I don't have lots of big friends to move it everytime I play.

I am thrilled with the sound of my Avatar B210/B212 set-up. It also fits in the back of my jetta.

Good Luck

7. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    In my oppinion, Peavey cabs sound better with Peavey heads, so unless you've got one, your probably better off with the Avatar.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd go with the Avatar. I'd give them an edge in sound (more punch, more defined low end and tighter), in workmanship (mainly because I prefer the carpet and stackable corners), in components (I prefer the emminence spks over the Peavy) and in value (they are cheaper).
    The 2 SB-112 cabinets sound very comparable to my SWR cabinets although I'd have to say the tweeter is more harsh sounding on the Avatar (probably in the crossover used).

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah that tweeter will blow your brains out...the stackable corners are way cool...when I was about to stack it I thought how is this goone be stable on top of each others big plastic pieces...and lo and behold it was like a big LEGO block! And man it feels like you could use the cabs as wrecking balls! There isn't another set of cabs out there that I could have bought together like this...value!