Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey or Mesa/Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 3, 2004.

1. Well, ive now had a taste of mesa and i need more, today i tried a m-pulse venture 2x10 combo, 600w and i almost fell in love with it as quickly as i did my kubicki, BUT, im dying to test out a BAM 210, so id just like some advice from people who have owned or own one of the above some advice on reliability and anything other you might have to add, there is a bit of a price difference in the two but i do need a great amp to match such a great bass :D

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I bought a Mesa M-Pulse 600 about a month ago. Obviously, I can't talk much about long-term reliability yet. The thing I love about the Mesa is that it is so easy to get great tone. I owned one of the first Eden WT-550's for just under a year, and then I tried the SWR 550x (returned it within Musician's Friend's trial period). The Eden and the SWR both sounded great, but the Mesa was just what I was looking for. i have no experience with the Peavey. Take everyone's opinions into consideration, but choose the one that sounds best to you. ;)

3. well i kinda have a rough idea about the long term life of peavey, owning a mark 3 head, im just got no idea about mesa, ive got friends who haev own mesa amps and theyve blown on them straight away...but i gotta try a bam before i really choose, edens are alright, not a big fan of swr though

but i welcome any advice, unless you're from qsc trying to brag again...lol

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I am normally not a mesa fan but after playing the venture combo I think they have a winner. It is a LOUD monster. I have been looking for something portable to replace lugging my SVT and 8-10 to practice and the Venture has made the short list. The only concern I have is pushing 600 watts through a 2-10. I have not heard of any problems with this though so who knows. The price here in the states is US 1,500. In Australian Dollars I can only imagine :bawl: I cant find a shop here locally to play the Peavey through. All acounts of the bam have been very good from posted reviews. Keep the Funk alive and good luck!!!! :bassist:

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The new line of Mesa amps are hard to beat. Lots of people I've talked to that try them out pick either the M-Pulse 600 or Aguilar DB750. They're supposedly very similar amps (as I've never seen the Aggy to try it out!), and yeah. I love my M-Pulse. It's killer.

6. well the mesa comes to....drum roll... $4,500aus here approx, so i can only imagine the peavey being about $2,000 $3,000...damn import taxes, hiking the prices up something shocking here.....but which ever 2x10 i go there will be some sort of 18" sub or quad box, ill probably end up goin a full peavey rig, considering stu hamm gave up on hartke after about 15 years and now uses the BAM's, but it all comes down to my taste,

#1 test instrument, my kubicki :p

7. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I have been using a Bam210 for 10 months with an Alembic 5. No problems, more features than I really need, but it gives me the bottom I want for a rehearsal/church amp. I put a Peavey Black Widow 18 under it for yocks, and it sounds BIG. Too loud for indoors! I use the SVT amp and cap models most of the time, with a little added mids.