1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey or other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigbass, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm getting an Avatar 410 cab, and I'm in need of a head. I was recommened a Peavey Max 700. Does Peavey make good heads? The price is roughly $550 at the local music store, are there any other heads this powerfull in that price range? I'm mainly concered with it being able to go down to 2 ohms so I dont need to get a new head if I ever wanted to slap a 15" on the bottom.

2. GET IT! Peavey is built like a tank and will last forever with pretty good tone too!

3. It's a great amp! I think it sounds great, and it definetly has plenty of power. I have a Peavey Pro 500 that I occasionly use at 2 ohms, no problems at all. In fact, I think my amp prefers the 2 ohm load, the DDT flashes at 4 ohms, but never at 2 ohms. Peavey's are tanks, that amp will last you 20+ years. This is all IMO of course. ;)

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Nickleseye is right. I had a Nitrobass (now called a Max 450) and I think it did prefer the 2 ohm load.

If being comfortable at 2 ohms is your objective, then Peavey is your only choice (IMO). If you can keep your long term impedance to 4 ohms, there are better tone options out there.

Good Luck

5. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    And just what better 4 ohms options are there?