Peavey or other?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigbass, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm getting an Avatar 410 cab, and I'm in need of a head. I was recommened a Peavey Max 700. Does Peavey make good heads? The price is roughly $550 at the local music store, are there any other heads this powerfull in that price range? I'm mainly concered with it being able to go down to 2 ohms so I dont need to get a new head if I ever wanted to slap a 15" on the bottom.
  2. GET IT! Peavey is built like a tank and will last forever with pretty good tone too!
  3. It's a great amp! I think it sounds great, and it definetly has plenty of power. I have a Peavey Pro 500 that I occasionly use at 2 ohms, no problems at all. In fact, I think my amp prefers the 2 ohm load, the DDT flashes at 4 ohms, but never at 2 ohms. Peavey's are tanks, that amp will last you 20+ years. This is all IMO of course. ;)
  4. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Nickleseye is right. I had a Nitrobass (now called a Max 450) and I think it did prefer the 2 ohm load.

If being comfortable at 2 ohms is your objective, then Peavey is your only choice (IMO). If you can keep your long term impedance to 4 ohms, there are better tone options out there.

Good Luck
  5. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    And just what better 4 ohms options are there?