Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey or Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aarono, Mar 3, 2006.

1. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Hey guys,

I've been wanting to upgrade from my Jay Turser (yes I know, gotta start somewhere though). I've come to the two following choices (I'm open to more if you have a good recommendation):

Peavey Unity DynaBass 4-string Bass (neck through) (Older Model with more than 4 knobs, not the newer model with 4 knobs in a diamond formation). This is going for $350 and includes the case. I've heard many good things about this bass. If I were to buy it it'd be from a forum buddy.

Schecter Stileto Elite 5-string Bass
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SCESTE5

If I were to buy this, I'm sure I'd get the blemished version to save some serious dough (not sure how bad the damage would be, I'd be sure to ask before ordering). I'd personally prefer to buy a 5 string just so I have the lower notes if needed. I think this looks better than the Dynabass but I havn't heard much about it's quality, etc. although I hear Schecter is a good company.

I'd love to hear some personal input about what would be the better purchase.

2. Schecter makes pretty good instruments. I own a blackjack 7 string. There basses have a very nice feel though I haven't really played too many cuz I'm a southpaw.

3. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    I just picked up a Schecter Omen 4 (lefty) a few weeks ago. Being lefthanded I didn't have a lot of choices but a friend who is in a band suggested I look at Schecters. Beautiful bass, quality made, fast action, and sounds great. BTW, their customer service is 1st rate, I emailed their c.s. with a question and had a reply within minutes with the answer. 1st rate!

4. That's the thing I like about Schecter.....first, they offer most models in lefty versions...second, great c.s. Diffrent body styles, sleek looks, and reasonable prices!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ABSOLUTELY NO CONTEST! The Peavey all the way! That neck through Dyna-Bass is the equivalent of today's Cirrus models, most likely built by the same people. IMHO nothing imported from asia short of the very best stuff from Lakland is even in the same league. That bass IIRC had an original MSRP over $1,000.

It's got five knobs and a switch just like the lower model bolt-on Dyna-Bass I bought in '89 (which was a GREAT bass!). FYI the five knobs are VOL/BLEND/BASS/MID/TREBLE. It's a very good active circuit. The switch is active EQ on/off, when active EQ is off, the treble knob operates as a cut only passive tone control. This switch saved me on at least one gig when my battery died.

6. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Peavey all the way - amazing feel :)

7. What he said. Neck through Dyna's are REALLY REALLY nice.

8. I've played a Dyna Bass Unity series at a local shop. Very impressed. Would've walked out with it, but it was in pretty rough shape. But the bass itself is VERY nice.

9. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Thanks guys.

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a bolt on as well as a neck through Dyna Bass. Excellent instruments. Retail on the neck through was about $800 to about $1000. The Unity series used a PJ setup which sounds entirely different than the single coil Super Ferrites. Both good, just different. Hardware is all Schaller, including their old roller bridge. The active/passive switch can be a lifesaver...sure wished my Cirrus had one a few weeks back:help: !
    Of the Unity series Dyna Bass, the cat's meow would be either the Limited with flame maple body and ebony fingerboard, or the Koa (which I have) which also has the ebony board.

Kim

11. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I've seen this exact same Peavey model go for $200, $300 and so forth. I know it's a quality instrument, but why does it sell so cheap?

12. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    If I could get a Stingray for $600, would it be wiser to go with that over the Peavey?

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Virtually every mass produced electric guitar or bass that doesn't say "Music Man", "Gibson" or "Fender" on the headstock loses value like this.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Peavey

15. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    Definately, the Peavey!

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'd say go with the Peavey. Great value for the money on any used Peavey. Great playability and sound. You can find some really nice looking ones, too.

17. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I'm trying to get ahold of a Stingray for a good price, but may not happen. Anywho, I may have to resort to the Peavey.

Would you rate it as:

Beginner, Intermediate, etc.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've never played that particular Peavey, but I know they make good stuff.

I have played the four-string version of the Stiletto, and it was very nice.

Seems to me you can't really go wrong either way. That's probably not very helpful, though, huh..?

19. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    I personally think the Peavey is extremely boring/ugly, but I hear it's a very quality instrument. Better to sound better than to look good.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of those two, I would get the Peavey. Since it is used, it will hold value better than a new instrument. Those old Dyna Basses are very underrated, pro quality instruments.

The Schecters are nice looking, and sound pretty good. But Schecter 5 stringers have very tight string spacing. If you like to slap, or use double thumb technique, it will be very uncomfortable on the Schecter.