Peavey or Yamaha for Bass $300-$400 range. In your opinion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jetmech727, Feb 1, 2005.

1. jetmech727

Jan 29, 2005
    Im choosing between a Peavey Millennium 4 AC BX, and a Yamaha RBX 374. In your opinions who would you choose as the more reliable and generally better all around bass. I like the way they both sound and feel. I'm sort of looking for a tie breaker.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've played those Grind basses a few times, very poor construction. Both of the 5'ers I played had frets that could actually cut you if you slide too quickly up the neck. Poorly done laminations, etc. etc. I never bothered plugging one in, the sound was pretty unimpressive acoustically.

Go for the Yamahas. They make great quality basses in that price range. I've played a couple 774's a few times (the 374 is the more budget-concious version with MM's instead of regular soapbars) and the quality was fantastic for the price, build-wise. Sound was a little rock-ish for my tastes. I also own a Yamaha BB404 fretless, and I've played several of their other basses in similar price ranges (BB405, 404, 605, RBX170, 270) and a few of their higher end ones like the NE sigs, TRB4-II, and TRB-6. I've NEVER been disappointed by a Yamaha bass, and their service is pretty awesome.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've played crappy basses from both companies, but I've also played pretty awesome ones from both companies. Yamaha is more consistantly good, but a good Peavy could match it any day.
  4. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    For $400 or a tad higher, you might find a used USA-made Peavey Millennium.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ohh man not to start any trouble but the only co. i dislike more than peavey is yamaha! Well for there low end basses anyhow! I would go with a mexican made fender myself if i had to go for that range! Then replace the bridge and pickups later on! Like i said dont get me wrong both yamaha and peavey make very cool top end basses! Its just i worked at a store that sold those co. and we had so many returns. Hope i didnt offend anyone!lol
  6. Well, since alot of basses here in Australia are far more expensive than in the states, alot of people end up with the lower end Yamahas.

Out of every Yammy I've ever played (both at a store and other people's basses I've tried out) I haven't struck a bad one.
  7. Go with the Yamaha....unless the Peavey is a Cirrus leave it in the store.
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like Peavey's Fury line. Those basses look, feel, and sounds like more expensive instruments.

But I would go with Yamaha since their QC is more consistent. While Peavey's Fury line is great, the Grinds are a mixed bag; heavy too.

Everyone I know who has a low or mid-range Yamaha has nothing bad to say.
  9. mochafrap

Jan 5, 2005
    For what its worth-have a black RBX 374 and just love it. Would not trade it for anything. I know instrument purchasing is subjective-we like what we like-so good luck. From my limited experience with Peavey, the Cirrus is the only one I would consider buying.