1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey or Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mclaren1991, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mclaren1991

mclaren1991

Feb 27, 2008
    Hi there everyone, I am new to bass shopping and am currently looking into buying either a Yamaha RBX765A 5 string or a Peavey Grind BXP 5 string. I am simply looking for advice regarding which to buy (or any similar basses) from people who know what they are talking about!
    Also, could someone tell me the advantages of active pickups over passive pickups or vice-versa? Thanks in advance.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You can't go wrong with either, they're both great basses, particularly for their price points.

There are many active versus passive threads. One is not better than the other, get whichever one seems to sound better to you. Passive basses tend to have lower output so make sure you adjust on the amp when you compare them. Personally I prefer passive for philisophical reasons (less electronics in the signal path is a nice concept), but one of my favorite basses that I own is active.

Get whichever one you think looks coolest and / or feels best in your hands.

3. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    I own both Yamaha and Peavey basses, I have a 6 string grind and its a really great bass, my only complaint is that the fretwork isn't that clean. But it is a really great bass for the price, Yamaha basses are also really great, but think that Yamaha model you are looking at is a 34 scale and you wont get as a nice sounding b string with that scale, its really up to your own preference, but I would go with the Peavey

4. swamp2

swamp2

Feb 27, 2008
    I have an RBX765A. I've always found it to be a nice instrument, no complaints. Compared to other inexpensive 5 strings I've played/owned, found the low B response to be pretty good. Really no experience with the Grind although I am a big fan of the older US made Peaveys (have had a couple old T-40's - still have 1, and a couple 80's vintage guitars. Very good quality stuff). Probably no direct relevance to a Grind BXP but I will say Peavey customer support is excellent.

Personally I don't think there's any real advantage to active electronics in a bass, at least for what I play. Between the instrument and amp, I don't have any trouble dialing in the tone I want regardless of the bass I'm playing - passive or active - and I agree, the less stuff in the signal path, the better.

With all that said, I've gone back to 4 strings exlusively so my RBX has literally been relegated to wall adornment status. It makes for a nice looking room decoration...