Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey owners.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CraigD, Apr 19, 2001.

1. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just bought a great rig - Nitrobass head and 410 TVX cabinet. I have been trying to chase down a really annoying buzz for the last week or so. We've ruled out the buzz coming from the bass, cables and head.

While playing with the cabinet I turned down the HF level control on the back - I presume this controls the horn level - and the buzz disappeared.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? Does it mean the horn is defective? Is there anything I can do for this or just take it back to the store? Before making ANOTHER trip to the store I thought I would at least seek some advice.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Horns always buzz. Its not just your amp, and its not just peavey. All amps of all brands that have horns buzz. When you play with a band though, you won't notice it because, the guitars will drown it out. Also the less highs you have the less buzz there is. If it really bothers you try a noise gate, or high pass filter, that would cut it out.
    The that is a good setup, though. I have the Firebass, which is very similar to the NitroBass, and I love it.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    O yeah and if you record, just run out the DI on the amp, and that way you'll still have the same tone, but no buzz in the mix. Thats what I do.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    How loud is this buzzing? Is it like <font size="1">bzzzz</font> or more like <font size="4">BZZZZZ</font>? If it's just a little, it's nothing to worry about. Horns always buzz (unless they're broken :)) If it's a lot of noise, you certainly have a problem with something.

The buzz could also come from the bass not being properly grounded and/or shielded. The tweeter maybe just amplifies the bazz buss, eh, bass buzz?

5. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey thanks for getting back to me guys.

I know what you mean by a little buzz is normal - it is that audio signature of something that is about to produce a lot of noise :). I know that is normal.

I guess I should have included a little more of what we've looked for, and tried. First the buzz is loud. It is loud with my hands off the strings of the bass and goes away with my fingers on the strings. So... grounding right? I checked out the bass (MIM Fender Jazz) and all seems well. I've tried other Basses and even my guild electric guitar through the rig with the same resulting buzz with my fingers off the strings. I've moved the rig throughout my house (different plugs circuits etc... turned off the furnace and refrigerator) and nothing corrects it.

I figured not all of these instuments can be bad. I took my bass and my cables and the head back to the store and everything worked perfectly through another cab. Then at home last night (having heard that same annoying buzz) I played with that HF level control on the back of the cab and the loud buzz went away when I turned that control all the way down. So I thought that maybe the horn was "bad" in the cab. I was asking this question originally to, first off, get some guidance as to anything I can do to correct it and, secondly, so that I don't just look like an idiot again at the store telling them the cab is the problem.

Any thoughts?
    thanks again
    Craig

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If it happens primarily when your fingers are off the strings, it sounds like a grounding problem. Try the groundlift switch on the back of the amp and see if that helps.

Horns are notoriously noisy when it comes to transmitting that kind of noise. Turn it down. Probably don't need it anyway. I keep mine dialed way back on my Peavey 210TXF cab.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What do you have the HF knob on the back set at. If its at full it will buzz like a mo!!!!! Turning it to 5, or 6 is already enough (if not to much). When you turn it way up, a lot your signal goes to the horn instead of the speakers. It could be that you had the HF knob set very high at home, and the store had it set low. Also make sure you had the controls on the amp and bass set the same way at home, as at the store. Do you use a wireless? Some wirelesses are very noisy. If the buz is only when your hands are off the strings, then it probably isnt the cab that is broken. Also make sure it isn't a bad cable, or a busted potentiometer.

8. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah I set the controls on the amp absolutely flat at the store the other night when I took it in so that I wouldn't have to remember how it was set... so that part is the same. I used my own cables at the store with my own bass and there was no problem with and kind of buzzing hands on or off the strings... so that part is the same. The horn level on the back has to be dial completely off and the buzz disappears but when it is turned to 1 (I am not getting ANYWHERE NEAR the middle of the dial, let alone the upper end) and is does this hands-on / hands-off buzz.

OH YEAH... and there is a ground switch on the back of the amp with 3 positions 0 / - / + and I've had it on all 3 positions without the slightest change in sound (which again leads me to believe that things from the amp are ok).

I guess because of all that I figured it isn't the amp, the cables, the bass or the power that is the problem. And I don't believe that I am being overly picky - I know that normal audio buzz/hum when things are turned up... I actually LIKE that sound 'cause it means things are about to get LOUD :).

Thanks all for your suggestions. At least I know that I've tried as many avenues as I can to track this down. I take it though that this is not a real common problem?

Thanks again guys.
    Craig

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Try taking your whole amp, and bass and everything to a friends house, and see if it buzzes when you play it there. Maybe it has something to do with your power outlets

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Did you say you owned a Fender? I was told that my Precision was supposed to buzz like that with my hands off of the strings (Hey, that's what I was told). It was recommended though (and I did it) that I remove my pickguard and fasten some aluminum foil to the back of it. Also, I have read articles about shielding your bass control cavity with copper foil and wiring and non-conductive paint. Maybe try something like that?

11. DUBZ

DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Hey CraigD,I Think you may have a problem with the horn in your cab,I own a Delta bass & a Hartke 3500 head,A Fender P &Fernandes Jazz & when in rehearsal with my band i used to use a 210tvx cab & play very loud with no buzz from the cab ever!!!the only time id get a hiss would be if my highs where pumped up or using an effects pedal,I used to set the horn to 1 or 2 depending on what bass i was using,& just to ask you,do you use the brightness button?try pressing & depressing your brightness button & see what difference that makes!!!good luck,Dubz. http://REMEDYMUSIC.homestead.com/COVERPAGE.html or http://www.feelinfine.co.uk

12. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've tried the brightness button and played with every knob and switch on it. I can certainly dampen some of that buzz, but can't really get rid of it.

I took my entire rig into the store and it buzzed in there too, but then so did every other cabinet, and every other head... until we got away from the J basses and went to something with low impedance pickups. I guess I am trying to chase down something that within the nature of the tools I have.

Right now I am told that I should just try to dial it out or try a noise reduction pedal of some sort. Next steps include having the bass properly shielded then maybe changing pickups.

At least I know that having spent the money I do indeed have something that is working as it should ???

Still trying to see what I can do to live with it. Thanks for all the ideas and advice.
    Craig

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    When you play with a band no one will hear the buzz over the other instruments. Especially if the guitars use distortion. Also if you are really determined you can solder (sp) a capacitor inline with the out jack on the bass, if you use the right one it will stop the buzz. If you screw it up trying this though, I'm not responsible.
    I use to have a cheap wireless that would buzz REALLY REALLY loud. It was louder than my bass.
    So i took a cord cut it open, and tried a bunch of capacitors, eventually one worked, so I soldered it in. Then i would put that cable between the reciever and the amp. Worked decent until I bought a better wireless.