Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey peavey cirrus 5-string. pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swooch, Jun 30, 2005.

1. swooch

swooch

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi all, first post at this forum, -sems like a good place to ask for some advice on a planned purchase.

I've found this Peavey Cirrus 5-string BXP for like 600$ (some 4500SEK) and I wonder if anyone here knows any pros and cons.

Link here

2. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi and welcome to TB

I think that there are many threads about the Cirrus BPX. Try using the search feature and I'm sure you will find some answers.

At that price (4500:- incl. shipping), I would say that you would get a very, very, good bass. Maybe the best bass for that money... :hyper:

/MrBaloo

3. swooch

swooch

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweden
    Thanks.

I keep hearing the cirrus basses are all badass. (I've got one fretless allready, but was not sure bout thew BXP ones.)

ANd yeah, I tried the search function, but didn't have the patiece to figure out how it works. (A search for peavey cirrus bxp gave me tons of hits on amps.)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cirrus BXP is a decent enough bass for the price, but nowhere near in the same league as a genuine Cirrus.

5. swooch

swooch

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweden
    I see. That was more or less the answer I've gotten at other places as well.
    If nothing else comes up I'm, probably buying it.

6. Sal bass

Sal bass

Aug 11, 2014
    bass guitar forum
    i got both, bxp (made in Indonesia) wich is ok and USA MADE this is a monster there is no comparison!!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A BXP Cirrus is nice, a USA Cirrus is the equal of any bass, anywhere. If you like a 35" scale and find the string spacing comfortable, it is as good as it gets in my humble opinion.

8. Sal bass

Sal bass

Aug 11, 2014
    bass guitar forum
    Hi Dr. Cheese I am new on TB. I commented about the cirrus, because last month I bought a USA cirrus walnut bubinga for 400 bucks, but electronics totally toasted, I called Peavey and they have a Serious costumer support they mailed a new preamp, for 59 dlls. and the 2 pick ups for free , got them instaled for 60 dlls. and I really , really enjoy this bass but Here is the fact in order to buy the cirrus I sold my USA Millenium for $450 and realized that the Milly was more punchier and compressed than the cirrus , Don't regret selling it but, I will love to buy another if I have the money....one day!!

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad Peavey stepped up and helped you out. I love my Cirrus, too, but I wish I had a USA Millennium five again (our even a four too!)

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Im aso glad that you got good help from Peavey support. A couple of years ago, my cirrus pre-amp got toasted as well. After months of searching for whats wrong with the electronics and trying to get help from Peavey support, no help was found. I also ordered a new pre-amp from Peavey via my local music store but after about 6 month i was told that no replacement pre-amp was avaiable.

My solution was to replace all electrolytic capacitors and the opamp myself. Wow, the bass was playable again. I think the capacitors replacement was the trick.