1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Penta-anyone used one on bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poorbassist15, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Found one of these locally for $400. I wasn't even aware of these things' existence. At 140 watts it's not super loud but it's better than a 100, especially since I intend to modify it. What's the preamp like? Quality?

2. The difference between 100 and 140W is inaudible. What do you intend to modify?

The one I had I converted into a pentagram. Problem was when I played it it vanished into another dimension never to be seen again! :D

3. I you get a chance to test it out, let us know how it sounds. You might be able to pull a Super Bass tone out of it. Its heavey so it might have big iron. FWIW, I find that my two 160w tube heads have noticeably more grunt than 100w heads.

4. Might attempt a KT88/6550 mod. It's running 4 EL34s pretty hard to get 140 and apparently the transformers are bigger than they need to be so I might be able to squeeze a little more power for bass.

5. It's supposed to have a Bassman like clean channel so it might have some clean grunt to it.