Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey people

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I've been looking into a Lakland 4 and Cirrus 4. I did a search on this and came up with some answers, but I would like some others' opinions too.

1. What's the difference (sound, quality, etc.) between a BXP and regular Cirrus? Can you actually tell a difference, or is it more like a Skyline/US difference where it doesn't matter so much?

2. I know they're a lot different, but if you had to pick one of the 3 and ONLY that one along with a Bob Glaub as your only 2 basses, which would you do: Darryl Jones 4, Cirrus 4, Cirrus BXP 4 ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do not have access to these basses here.

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have (and love) a Cirrus 4 wenge/walnut that was made in the USA. I have just played one of the new mahogany Cirrus 4 BXPs. I was very impressed and have the five string version on order. The differences, as I see them: The BXP has a rosewood vs. pau ferro fingerboard. My Cirrus has a rubbed oil finish (I prefer the rubbed oil to the polyurethane), the BXP (mahogany) has a satin polyurethane finish. The BXP uses a 'fingerstyle' (individual tailpieces for each string) bridge that is either drop-in or thru-body loaded. The neck is not graphite reinforced, nor does it have the graphite on the headstock-it is a maple neck. The knobs are cast with 'o-rings' vs the rubber knobs on the USA Cirrus (except for the Quilt-top USA Cirrus-which uses the Millenium circuit board with a sweepable midrange and has cast, knurled knobs). The electronics are completely different-instead of the all-in-one circuit board with controls on it, as found on the USA Cirrus, the BXP has individual controls and point-to-point wiring to the potted preamp (kind of a block, loosely installed in the control cavity. The input jack is not the 'deep-panel' design as found on the US model...the BXP uses a jack plate and standard jack (which I prefer).
    Soundwise, the BXP seems a little 'hotter' than the US models that I have played. I was very impressed with the sound. Very quiet under flourescent lighting. The pickups are the same as the US version. Action was superb. All in all, it's one heck of a bass...especially at the street price.
    I still prefer my US Cirrus, but looking at the current US Cirrus pricing, the BXP is hard to ignore.

Kim

3. All I know is that I just sold my Peavey TNT 1 15 and I don't miss it. :D GK all the way for me.

Andrew

4. Is this a joke or are you a bit of a fanny :p

5. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah it's a joke I guess....

Thanks for that review. Would you say the sound is similar? That's about the only thing I care about. That and quality enough to not fall apart. I can modify the sound somewhat w/ the head, but I'd like at least the same tone as a real Cirrus.

6. Haha. That TNT really has been a great amp. It's survived the humidity of marching band and many other things. Tough as nails. Although it didn't quite put out the sound I wanted. I honestly have nothing but good things to say about Peavey stuff though. :D

Andrew

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I would say that the tone is definitely in there. To me, the mid on the BXP is voiced somewhat differently than the US Cirrus...this was only my impression. Very good, but subtly different to my ear. I liked it enough to order one.

Kim