Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey power amps: GPS 2600 & PV 2600?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rezdog, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Having thoughts of power and greed. Does anyone out there know what the difference is between Peavey's GPS and PV line of power amps other than price,cosmetics and wattage. Currently I am running 1000 watts, courtesy of Carvin. I've had it for 4 yrs and it's been pretty reliable but it's getting long in the tooth. And no, I do not have the funds to go high end.:) Thanks...
    Rezdog

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've been told that the GPS series is essentially a Crest Audio design and the quality is of a higher standard than the PV series.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Thanks, I seem to remember Peavey acquired Crest. Does anyone know if the PV power amp line was reliable and if the power they produced was continuous or pulse?
    Rezdog

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If you have the money, the GPS amps are of a higher quality. Will it make a difference in a bass rig? I doubt it. The PV series are stone reliable (I use a 2600 for subs). They are very well built and compare favorably with QSC's RMX line. Power ratings are honest. Note that Peavey does not recommend 4 ohms bridged on the PV series. It's not that the amps will not do it reliably, but rather that the AC switch got hotter than UL wanted (nothing that an end user would be concerned with). As Peavey is very conservative in their ratings and wanted the UL label, they decided to "not recommend" extended 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridged mono on these amps. They will do it...reliably...and until the cows come home...If anything, Peavey is one of the most conservative companies out there when it comes to performance claims. Now that Peavey has dropped the MAP on the amps, they are priced lower than the equivalent RMX amps. Both are excellent amps and are reliable to a fault. They are also not light (nor are the GPS's). That's why I use a QSC PLX in my bass rig. You can choose however many watts you can afford...they all weigh 21 pounds.