Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey power amps (PA)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Mar 19, 2003.

1. I have an opportunity to pick up a Peavey power amp for PA use. I'm not a big fan of Peavey bass gear but it sounds like a good deal and I occasionally need a power amp for PA sound at small live gigs I put together. It's an older CS series, 800 watts at 4 ohms in 2 channels and that's about all I know.
    Any thoughts and remember it's not for bass use.

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It is probably a CS800. Peavey should have downloadable manuals on the website.

The older model CS800s are very heavy but they are built like a Tank. I have had a couple in the past (mid 80s). You can usually find the older model amps for around $200.
    The newer model CS800s sound better and are lighter. They typically run $350 - $400 used.

There are crossover "cans" that plug into the Peaveys CS series amps for different frequencies.

3. I've used a ton of CS800's over the past 20 years. They are heavier than hell, very reliable, but, they don't sound very good. All the ones I've used had a really dirty high end. They don't seem to recover quite as fast as other amps. However, they will run all night at 2 ohms and even lower and never even wimper.