Peavey power amps (PA)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Mar 19, 2003.

1. I have an opportunity to pick up a Peavey power amp for PA use. I'm not a big fan of Peavey bass gear but it sounds like a good deal and I occasionally need a power amp for PA sound at small live gigs I put together. It's an older CS series, 800 watts at 4 ohms in 2 channels and that's about all I know.
    Any thoughts and remember it's not for bass use.
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It is probably a CS800. Peavey should have downloadable manuals on the website.

The older model CS800s are very heavy but they are built like a Tank. I have had a couple in the past (mid 80s). You can usually find the older model amps for around $200.
    The newer model CS800s sound better and are lighter. They typically run $350 - $400 used.

There are crossover "cans" that plug into the Peaveys CS series amps for different frequencies.
  3. I've used a ton of CS800's over the past 20 years. They are heavier than hell, very reliable, but, they don't sound very good. All the ones I've used had a really dirty high end. They don't seem to recover quite as fast as other amps. However, they will run all night at 2 ohms and even lower and never even wimper.