Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Power Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sdguyman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm in the market for a new power amp and was wondering if people here use a Peavey Power Amps (PV Series)? Price per watt they seem to be equivalent to QSC RMX series. A few pluses Peavey is a Speakon connector for Bridge Mode over the Banana clip connector Peavey also has a crossover with in the unit.

The biggest con that I can see from just doing research on the net is that the Peavey weighs in almost 5-10 lbs heavier than the QSC amps.

Anybody have any input about Peavey Power amps?

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use the 2600 for subs. It's fine. If you need the crossover, please be aware that not all of the amps have them. Those with the round shield on the front are without. Peavey apparently has heard the outcry and will be putting it back in. In the meantime, if you do need it, get the Crest CPX series...same amp. I'd say the amps are on equal footing with the QSC RMX series. By no means are they light, however...mine weighs in at just under 50 lbs...not counting the case. Also note that neither the PV or CPX series are rated at bridging into 4 ohms, as is the RMX. They were originally so rated, but UL certification would have had to be witheld due to thermal concerns. Peavey, being conservative, elected to remove the 2 ohm/4 ohm, bridged ratings rather than not getting the UL label. I do not know if the RMX series are, in fact, UL listed.

Kim